1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Mk II Defective Screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FastCorner, Apr 11, 2015.

1. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Yesterday was great because my new E-M5 Mk II was delivered. But excitement was quickly dampened when I turned it on and saw that the edges of the LCD had severe vignetting. I hope this is just a rare occurrence. Anyone seen this before?

Adjusting brightness/etc doesn't do alleviate the problem. The camera's probably going back to the vendor on Monday. :(

Live view

IMG_2958.JPG

Playback
    IMG_2959.JPG

OOC JPG

[​IMG]

2. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Looks faulty to me, never seen anything like it on my mk II :(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    F1.4?? What lens are you using? The on-screen indicators show the corners of the lcd screen are fine, it's just the image from the sensor that is vignetted, and that could be an inability to compensate for lens distortion that the camera doesn't have a profile for. Is this an adapted lens? Have you tried a genuine m4/3 lens?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    The lens is fine. It's a Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 that never gave me trouble with either a Panasonic G2 not Olympus E-M1.

The screen, however, has that dark border regardless of what it's showing. You can even notice it in the configuration menus.

5. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Sorry to hear about this - the Mark II has definitely given me pause until Olympus sorts it out (or they release an EM1 mark II) -- I've read a few stories of people's rear LCD just completely not working, and now this? Seems some QC issues.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The camera is defective. If you just got it, send it back for a new one.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Speaks highly of their quality control, not. I doubt they 'burn' these things in - eg powered on with moderate vibration on a shaker, plus some thermal - that would weed out latent defects with high probability.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) aka shake n' bake, which primarily finds poor solder joints: Would be done by the manufacturer of the screen, which is probably not Olympus. Is generally reserved for electronics that have to meet high reliability requirements set forth by the customer. (In my personal experience this has been for things put on the bottom of oceans and aircraft.) Very few people are willing to pay 10x as much for typically consumer grade electronics. It's a lot cheaper to send back a defective item every so often.

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Generally the levels decrease as scale of integration goes up, ie shake and bake sub-assemblies to higher levels, with lower levels at final build to weed out assembly errors.
    Ok if ESS is unaffordable, then at least burn-in. But static burning at factory ambient doesn't prove a lot given the camera is generally transported by air, rail and road, each with their own vibration frequency spectrum, plus shock. Add to that the users own handling, or mishandling! (That's in general, I'm not talking about the OP's circumstances.)

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Mine arrived 5 days ago.
    Screen is OK.
    So far my fears and concerns about Olympus build quality have been contradicted by this camera model.
    Only thing strange is that the small piece of metal that wolds the battery in place it is bare with no plastic cover to easy the release...
    It's a bit difficult to release the battery.
    All my Panasonic cameras have a small plastic cover around that piece of metal that wold battery in place.
    Is this normal?

11. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Vendor issued an RMA. Let's hope the next camera I get is perfect!

12. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    Yes, it's normal, but I agree that it seems like a weird design. Kind of have to annoyingly dig at it with your fingernail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's.
    Imagine one trying to release the battery with a glove on the hand...

14. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Just to close out this story: The replacement camera does not have this LCD issue. Everything seems to work well.

• Like Like x 1