E-M5, misses the boat...?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 5, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    E-M5, misses the boat.....IMVHO.

Fabulous camera I love it, however I feel it could have been a great camera.

How, by the addition of an integrated grip just like my GH2.

The overall dimensions would hardly change....and a battery pack could be added if desired.

The current 2 part grip...grip/battery pack...is I feel a bit of a dog's-dinner, neither one thing or the other.

I, and I'm sure a lot of us will never use the battery pack, just the grip.

Again IMVHO

Psssst.....I'm awaiting delivery of my 'free' dog's-dinner. :smile:
  2. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    I don't know. It sure sounds like it has a vacuum.

Nothing is going to be perfect, for everyone. Based on my first night with the the E-M5, it is pretty damn good though. Can you use it and get what you want from it, how you want to? I am pretty sure about the what, and am confident I can train it to give me the how at this point, so I can't be happier.
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

None of Olympus previous PENs had a grip.... they did just fine. Perhaps its a choice used to set them apart from Panasonic. If you are going to go retro from 70s and prior, most cameras didn't have a built in grip (none with built in grip actually comes to mind. Earliest I can think of was Minolta). In other words, a built in grip would detract from the Retro style Olympus is becoming known for.

BTW.... I think the GH2 missed the boat.... No IBIS. That was a deal killer for me and how I ended up going from the G1 to Olympus. Unlike the grip, IBIS can't be added on after the fact.
  4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Here's why I like the grip.. Flexibility. It's like having your choice of a small, medium, or large om-d depending on the situation.

My only issue with the grip, and why I went with the black body, is that I think it looks terrible with the silver body.
  5. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Obviously Dpreview gave it a gold award because it is not a great camera.

People are unable to get hold of them, and when stocks do show up, they all get sold within minutes. Can't be a great camera or that wouldn't happen.

A grip, or the lack thereof, does not a great camera make. My OM4-Ti didn't come with a grip either, and it is most certainly a great camera.

Stick to your GH2, since obviously it is better because of the grip.

Olympus gave users the option of either minimal bulk or a more substantial grip. Just because you prefer the latter, doesn't mean everyone else does.

I am glad Olympus gave me the option.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Maybe a franiec grip will materialise in time, maybe that will be the perfect compromise for you.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Mocking is unnecessary folks...people like what they like and criticism such as this is perfectly valid. Consider this a very gentle reminder.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'm not sure I understand your objection to the grip? Is it insufficiently solid when installed, or is there something else at work?

The cynic in me would say that the grip's intended purpose is to squeeze a few hundred $ more from customers, but from a practical standpoint, the ability to remove it seems like a win.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Deleted Kevin..We were just having a little laugh...but u r right .It may offend someone ..
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    The Minolta X300 camera was my first semi serious SLR (note the retro styling and grip) :thumbup:

I don't think grips are necessarily non retro, it's more that they are 80's retro not 70's retro (like Triumph motor cycles who have the T100 Bonneville as a 60's retro and the Bonneville SE as their 70's retro).

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think you are missing the point of the OP. They DID state that it was "IMVHO". Comfort is a valid criticism of a design.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. usayit

My point exactly... Olympus 1/2 frame Pen were most popular from the 60s-70s. The OMD also looks more like the 70s OM system cameras. Its clear the retro-styling they are pursuing. The PEN's (E-P1-2-3 in particular) were aiming at the 60s and the EM-5 at the mid-early 70s.

I collect cameras and looking at my cabinet, I can't see one camera prior to the 80s that really had a FULL integrated grip. Early 80s you had a the appearance of "bump" as in your X300 and in the very popular "A" cameras from Canon; AE-1 being one of the more popular. Pentax LX was even more creative selling blocks that one can carve into a custom "bump" to be attached. These are not integrated grips as in the GH2... simply add on's with no shutter or addon functionality.

Here's my 1980 Pentax LX. It was the "last" of the Pentax designs that were an evolution of the original Pentax 50s SLR. This one is equipped with a substantial but still non-featured grip.

Here's my A-1. Again a later Canon design which borrows much from the 50s SLR design but with the addition of the "bump" like you X300.

Here's my Minolta 7000. It was the first successful AF 35mm camera in the market:

Note the integrated grip with the shutter moved forward and the styling change that's beginning to creep in.

The best example is comparing the last of the Canon FD cameras... Early vs t90 (the last FD). I don't have those in my collection. the T90 looks much more like the early EOS system with integrated grip than anything else with an FD mount.

Do you see the difference?

The 80s went through a distinct change (not just cameras) were everything started to look like bulky computers in a box. This was a divergence from the mechanical "clock-like" wonders prior. Early 70s saw the disappearance of milled brass as the primary material for bodies for example. I personally think the 80s looked like crap... cheap plastic really started to be prevalent. I don't think the 80s is a good time period in portables in terms of styling.

The difference between Panasonic and Olympus? Panasonic has no heritage and has to rely on their own current designs. Olympus has a heritage and they chose to capitalize on it. Leica is probably one of the best examples of doing the same thing. M9 (current) pretty much looks the same as the M3 (1st M-body)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Options are good, allows a person to customize the camera to their needs.

• casual shooters, may never need a grip,
    • An advanced photographer with long adapted lenses will like the grip for better hand holding stability...
    • A Pro who needs a vertical grip release will also like the added battery pack for over 600 photos with changing batteries.
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am not sure that I competely agree with the idea that because a company has a heritage from which to choose that it follows their products are going to be superior. I agree that Olympus has chosen to leverage their past designs with both the PEN cameras and the OMD. It was a smart move on their part as the designs they are drawing from we're enormously popular and have quite a lot of goodwill attached to them. That does not however guarantee a good product (although clearly Olympus makes good products). Also Panasonic's lack of traditional SLR experience is balanced by their enormous amount of experience in consumer electronics. I would say that a modern digital camera has more in common with a video camera than it does with a film camera (which companies like Panasonic and Sony have a LOT of experience with). Also Panasonic's collaboration with Leica probably gave them some insights into the camera world.

A place where I think Olympus does have significant advantage is in optics. Their lenses have always been very very good and they have continued that tradition with their digital gear.
  15. usayit

Did I say that?

No...... not even close... read again.
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The om-4 had a similar om-winder grip. We used it mostly during long shoots and or attached to large zoom lenses. The om was pretty uncomfortable without the grip, but it sat around my neck and i got over it.

Eventually aftermarket parties like Bessa made a more practical grip, no winders, no repositioned shutter release etc. All those optioms and it was still nice to have the om stripped down.

With the popularity of the em-5 there will be many grip options out there. It beats being stuck with one single black plastic blob imho.
  17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I did read it again...

I took that quote to mean that you were inferring that having a heritage equated to having a superior design (or perhaps that having to rely on their own design was somehow inferior). I can see now that I read it again in context that was me jumping to an erroneous conclusion there. My bad.
  18. usayit

no problem.... it can be the conclusion if out of the context of the post I was responding to.
  19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    There is no perfect camera. There's a very simple reason for that: you can't please everyone all the time. The #1 thing I see about many photographers is the "this camera should be made to my specification", i.e. "my wants = everyone else's wants".

Now a built-in grip may make the camera perfect for you. And I understand you liking that on your GH2 and wanting that for every camera that you own. But if the E-M5 had it built in, I would not buy it. That's IMVHO. :smile:

Honestly I think Olympus bent over backwards making an extended grip optional. You get the best of both worlds. And yet people still aren't happy...
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think because the thread had started out on a a pretty weird tone I really had to go back and re-read your post as well as the ones that came before it to really see what was going on. Nice little lesson on being sure of my facts before I say anything. :biggrin: