1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-m5 Mark II on/off switch doesn't respond

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jo45800, Feb 19, 2016.

1. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Hi,

The on/off switch of my em5 mark II doesn't respond anymore, When I put the battery, no matter what is the position of the battery, the camera turn on, but It's impossible to turn it off. The only way to turn in off is by removing the battery or via the smartphone app, does anyboday had this issue?

thanks

2. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Have Olympus fix it for you.

3. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Update: I tried to switch on and off several other times and some times it work with a lot of delays and some times it just turn and off by itself many times... It's still Under warranty but I have a big photo trip in April and I don't know if the repair center is quick...

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I don't know if you have any choice in the matter. It's not working correctly now, so would be a bummer to try and use as is, or you can send it in and hope they get it repaired and returned to you within the month and a few weeks before your trip. The better odds are you'll get it back before the trip than they are for the camera to magically start working again.

If it doesn't get back to you before the trip, there are plenty of online rental places that you can use to fill the void until you get yours back.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I would suspect that you'll get it back by April. The worst I had was a month and that was replacing the shutter assembly on a refurb. I wouldn't take that camera on a trip anyway, so you might as well send it in.

6. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Thanks, I guess I don't have a choice, fingers crossed

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Or buy a new one off Amazon and return the old one saying it was defective ;) lol

8. stringshifter6

stringshifter6 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Just adding to this post for future information:

My EM5 II's power switch also failed like the OP's camera. It will turn on when you place a battery in it but no way to turn it off without removing the battery.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think your best bet would be to get the camera to Olympus as fast as possible, and also schedule a rental through lensrentals/borrow lenses that will arrive a couple days before you depart for your trip. If you camera makes it back in time, you can cancel the rental, but if it doesn't make it back in time then you have a rental version of the same camera, can customize it the way you like so that it's ready to go for your actual trip.

I don't know what the issue is with Olympus and dials/switches, but they have some serious issues. Mode dials falling off, front/rear dials not responding, and now on/off switches not working. For as well built as their cameras feel, you would think that they would behave the same was as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    The olympus repair website shows that the expected shipping date was yesterday so I should be ok. Camera and lens rentals are a nightmare in Canada, It's very expensive and often there is no m43 stuff.

thanks

11. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    If possible, you can buy a E-M5 mk1 for ~$300 and keep it as a backup whether you need it for this trip or not. That's my plan for a trip later in the year.

12. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    A little heads up, I have called olympus because I still have nothing. They are waiting for missing parts. I don't know if I will have my camera back for my trip...

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You're correct that camera/lens rentals aren't as easy to come by in Canada as they are in America, but Henry's is showing the ability to rent an E-M5 with 12-50 kit lens for a week for $225. Sure, it's not a Mk.II and you don't need the lens, but it's better than not having a camera with you.

OR, another option (if you can swing it financially), is to just buy a used E-M5. They're going for pretty cheap (something like $300 USD). You could buy one, use it on your trip so that you have a camera (or if you get your Mk.II back in time you could have two cameras), and then when you get home you could either keep it as a back up body (probably not a bad idea given Olympus' track record for reliability), or sell it to recoup most of your investment.

While both options cost money, I think everyone would agree that it's better to shell out some money to guarantee having a camera for this trip rather than rolling the dice and possibly ending up without a camera. If that's the case, I will wager money that years from now you'll look back and think "Man, did I seriously not rent or buy a camera because I was concerned about saving $200-300?". I think documenting the experience is worth that price alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    In the worst case scenario I have my Ep5 as a backup I need my em5 for the weather sealing and the features that are not in the ep5. You are correct with Henrys but they are not in Québec and here It is another story than the rest of Canada. thanks

15. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    So, they send me a refurb remplacement because they said that the part they ordered to fix my camera never arrived. Only problem is, the remplacement unit was shipped from the US and I had to pay 120$ in fees... So I guess I will call them to see If I can be refund of thèses fees.

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not an expert on Canadian import laws, but I would surely think that a replacement item would not count as a import and be subjected to duties. You didn't buy something new, you were just getting your camera back.

17. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    In fact the Canadian repair center ordered a refurb camera, so in the shipping box there was an invoice and no taxes were charged on this invoice. I have called Customer support and they said I have to send them the taxes receipt for refund.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well I guess their fault for labeling it like a purchase. I am glad you are going to get reimbursed and I hope the new camera is more reliable for you.

19. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I just receive the full refund for the fees. That close the problem, it was not simple but I am glad it sorted out. I am just afraid about the quality of the EM-5 Mark II body because it's not the first time I hear about switchs, dials or screen issues...

20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Make sure to keep an eye on the lugs for the straps as well. There have been reports about them coming out on the E-M5, and I'm not certain about the E-M1 or E-M5 II. This has caused people to drop their camera to the ground when using a neck strap and one of the lugs for the strap pulls out.

• Informative Informative x 1