1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Mark II front wheel feels "spongy"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wes Coleman, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Wes Coleman

Wes Coleman Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Wes Coleman
    I just upgraded my E-M10 to an E-M5 Mark II, and I have an odd question about the control wheels. The rear wheel feels basically like the ones on my E-M10, but the front wheel feels slightly spongy when I rotate it. I can still feel a "click", but it's nowhere near as crisp as the rear wheel. Is it normal for the two wheels to feel different?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    They are probably not designed to feel different. However, mechanical detente mechanisms are made up of multiple parts which can be made within design limits, but all slightly different and this will give a different feel.

3. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    I think it must be normal. Mine is the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've never noticed that, but now that you mention that I've been testing my camera and there is in fact a slight difference.
    But I've only noticed because you've talked about it.

5. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Definitely noticed the same thing, not sure if it's a build quality thing or a design decision. I personally find the front wheel a little loose for my liking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I have just bought a used EM5 Mk2 and immediately noticed that there was a difference with the dials
    The Mk2 front dial is different to the rear and has a much softer, smoother feel when it is turned compared to the EM10 - the 10 has a more 'metallic' feel with a more pronounced click at the stops
    I dont feel that this is detrimental and if anything feels better for being a little smoother and although it makes no difference is 'quieter'

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. trwtrw

trwtrw Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    I've had a problem with my rear dial on the E-M5 Mark II; it became wobbly and then it fell off. I'm sending it off for repair this week.

8. Wes Coleman

Wes Coleman Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Wes Coleman
    Well I hope it isn't annoying to you, because I would feel pretty bad if I was the one to finally make you notice.

I'm glad a few others have said their cameras are the same way, I was worried I got shipped one that the wheel would fall off in the middle of a vacation or something. It does seem to be slightly quieter, and since it operates the exposure compensation I'm wondering if they intended it to be quieter for video modes. Thanks to everyone who responded!

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The front and rear dials feel very slightly different. The rear dial has more defined clicks. Not a huge difference but it's there.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    It does not annoy me :)

11. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    EM10 mkII is the same - front wheel is softer / easier to turn than the back one.

Guess this is intentional, and you turn the front wheel more? On the old EM-5 both wheels were equally stiff and clicky, but i actually prefer the new smoother feel.