E-M5 mark 2 rear dial not working!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43happy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    So I received my camera this afternoon at work. Opened the box just to charge the battery so I can mess around with the camera when I get home. Get home about an hour ago and literally the first thing I noticed 10 seconds after turning the camera on is that the rear dial doesn't work!! Wow. Not sure if I'm the first to report this but here it is. Never had this issues whatsoever with either my E-M1 or my E-M5mk1 before it. Just my luck. Oh well, guess I'll be contacting Olympus tomorrow. I'll get a video of it up in a little bit. To be honest, I'm probably more in just disbelief than angry. Guess I'll be shooting with my GX7 a little longer. haha

Edit: And here's a video I just made of it. Check your dials people! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Did you check your settings to make sure the rear dial is mapped to a function in whichever mode you're in?

Olympus seem to have a track record of problems with rear dials. What gives?

3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Well, the rear dial worked off and on intermittently when I first turned it on. It would randomly register a turn after however many turns, whereas the front dial changes settings instantly on each turn. That's how got the shutter speed down to 1/1.6s where by default, when you first turn on the camera, it's at 1/250s. After several minutes the rear dial completely stopped working. I went into the menus to switch the aperture control to the rear dial and the shutter control to the front dial (that still didn't work).

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear - Oly do seem to have problems with rear dials - same problems exist with the E-M1 and the E-P5. Most don't occur so early in a camera's life though!

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Nice to see they have improved (Not) on the alleged poor build quality of the E-M5 mk1;)

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These dial mechanisms might be made by a secondary manufacturer & if so then some hard booting up the butt needs to be done (not that my E-M1 dial has failed (yet) though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Actually, that's not an E-M5 problem, that's an E-M1 problem. :(

8. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Same thing happened to me! I got my E-M5 MKII on Wednesday night. Played with it for a couple of hours, and everything seemed fine. Showed it off in the morning to my 6 year old son (he is excited about anything that excites me). Tried to zoom in on an image, and the rear dial did not work. I could not get it to do anything unless I pushed up and dialed at the same time. Brought it back to h and b digital (no not b&h). They replaced it, and everything seems to work out.

I really hope our problems are just freak issues, and not indicative of a larger problem. One of the main selling points for me was build quality. It is disheartening to hear that I am not the only one with this exact issue on day one.

-w0den

• Like Like x 1
  9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yikes totally agree. I got mine last night. Went through every function. All seems well. This morning, still good... phew. But now, definitely paranoid that its going to give out. Im heading out to a Disney vacation with the kids this weekend and I plan on only bringing this camera. It will be run through its paces over the next 5 days. Crossing fingers it hold up! gulp! :confused:

10. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Funny, my friend who's visiting Japan right now says the E-M5mk2 sells for $880 US there. I contemplated pulling the trigger on one, but don't want to have to deal with not being able to get something repaired under warranty just because it was purchased in another country. Oh well, I'll see what the vendor says who I purchased my camera from. Either way I'll be out of pocket to ship it back for an exchange or to ship it to Olympus for warranty repair. :(

11. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    You should have no problem getting an exchange/refund from your vendor. All of the big vendors (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) have a pretty much no-questions asked return policy. In fact, if you did contact Olympus, their first question would probably be "Was it purchased within the last 30 days? If so return it to your point of purchase."

But yeah, hopefully this isn't a sign of bigger problems :\

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Thanks for the heads-up. I expect to take delivery of mine early next week once the store receives the body. I handled their display copy quite a bit yesterday and the rear dial never faltered.

13. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    wow. seriously? you would expect them to have improved their quality control since the original E-M5. The e-m1 came out and it also had its own issues, the e-m10 followed later and it also has its issues. It's disappointing that the newest model still has issues.

14. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    How about those D750s? Nikon and Olympus must share beds. Every product has some issues, it isn't the end of the world. What if it is only a few units? No need to panic unlike the D750, that was actually removed from shelves. Costs 3x as much as the EM-5?

15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Got mine today and dials are working fine. I did notice some clicking or motor making noise. It's not the ibis noise when you press the shutter half way down. It's kind of a faint clicking/back and forth noise. I have my nocticron on it now. Haven't had a chance to change lenses to see if it might be the lens although it worked flawlessly on my G3. Is this normal for olympus? I have never owned a olympus camera.

Any ideas?

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That noise may well be the the Flicker Reduction, Menu *D as it is by default on Auto. Turn it OFF & the clicking noise should stop. I'm not really sure of the value of that function as most of us that are aware of it just turn it OFF anyhow. See page 103 in your manual for a description & obviously it does have its uses when needed.

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think that is indeed it Mr. Fidler as I was focusing it on and towards the TV lol.

On a side note I noticed my manual is quite small only 91 pages, but that includes instructions in 3 languages. Did I get a different one? The English section is only 30 pages then it switches to French and Spanish. I'm in California, USA. Does that matter?

18. sunnygps

sunnygps Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Here is the one I downloaded.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1672

19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
  20. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    You can change it in the quick menu. Hit 'ok' to pull up the quick menu. Use the up and down arrows to get to the focus setting. Click right or ok to change.