E-M5, loving the new memory card.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 25, 2012.

1. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Dave,

thanks for mentioning this, I'm always looking out for good yet cheap storage ..

This C10 16GB card is @ 26.96 UKPound and the same seller also proposes C10 16GB from SanDisk @ 9.99 and even C10 32GB from SanDisk @ 19.99

Any special reason why you prefer the Lexar, although it is much more expensive ???

C U,
    Rafael

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    How fast does it actually write, Dave? Would you care to test it out for us in your E-M5?
    Hold down the shutter button until the buffer fills and the shooting speed slows down, then keep the button held down and time how long it takes to shoot ten more shots. Or count how many shots it'll take in ten second with the buffer already full.

cheers!
    Jeff

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    18 shots RAW in high burst mode......is this good/bad

My yardstick is that is that shot images can be vieved almost instantly on the LCD without waiting ages before I can remove my eye from the EVF.

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks, Dave !

18 orf files are ca 250MB, in 10 sec, that makes approx 25MB per sec
    I'm not sure if the limiting factor is the card, or the camera ???

chip.de (a german computer and electronics magazine with a AAA reputation) gives Panasonic SDHC 32GB Gold Pro (RP-SDA32G) the gold medal for writing speed (avg 76,6 MByte/s) but it is a very expensive card ...

Best Buy goes to the Lexar SDHC 32GB Professional 400x (LSD32GCTBEU400) with avg writing speed of 38,6 MByte/s but at 4 times less money ...

Unfortunately, the test does not mention a date, very important for validation of result in such extremely fast changing markets.

Anyway, for those wanting to see all data, the test can be read online here :
    (in german)

Vergleich: SDHC-Karten im Test - CHIP Online

C U,
    Rafael

6. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    That's really good!
    The equivalent Sandisk card (16GB, 95MB/s) wrote 16 * 11MB jpegs in ten seconds in a similar test, whereas your Lexar wrote 18 * 14MB ORFs.

Your card writes at about the same speed as the Sandisk 64GB, 95MB/s card in the EM-5 review at dpreview.

It could just be sample variation, but I believe we may have a new Best Performing UHS-1 SD Card.
    ....and I just ordered the Sandisk yesterday :(

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Test results vary a lot depending on exact methods - I would not compare different cards based on different tests. :smile: