1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Lightroom export problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Today i was going through my vacation's pictures in Lightroom 5; first time i was using my new E-M5 extensively.
    I'm having a problem: when exporting files, as sRGB Jpg, the non color managed programs show them darker, with much rougher shadows. This never happened and still does not happen if i export files from other cameras!
    Don't know how that can be or how to fix it :mad:
    Anyone had the same happen and know hot to fix this?
    Thanks for all the help,
    Daniele.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you checked whether the camera itself is set to Adobe RGB space?

3. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Would that impact the RAW files or the way they get converted by Lightroom?
    Just checked, and indeed the camera was set to Adobe RGB; what should i do with the files i already have?
    Then again, why is that impacting the RAW files or the way Lightroom converts those to sRGB?
    Thanks for the help,
    Daniele.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you sure that the output has been converted to sRGB? Dull and dark is typical when viewing Adobe RGB as sRGB by mistake (or if the software doesn't support it).

I don't own Lightroom myself, so I'm not sure how to resolve this. Colour space shouldn't be relevant for raw, but maybe LR is special. Is it aware that the files are Adobe RGB to begin with? If all else fails, with raw you can use Olympus Viewer to change the colour space back to sRGB without changing any other shooting settings.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You can set (or check) the color space you wish for your exported files when you export them. So, either run another export and check to see if sRGB is selected, or review the
    EXIF data of the current files to see what color space was assigned. If neither action helps, then have a look here: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?8288-The-Starter-Kit . This is an excellent forum, especially for beginners, and I am sure that this issue has been discussed a number of times, so few minutes searching will probably yield good results if the Starter Kit is not helpful.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Indeed i selected sRGB on export, and it's the same preset i've been using for a long time anyways; i checked the exif and indeed it's exported as sRGB. Photoshop opens it with the correct colors and also indicates it's an sRGB photo. I even tried saving it from photoshop with no success.
    It's really wierd and i have no clue on how to solve it; the problem is that otherwise ALL my exported pictures from the E-M5 will look bad!
    I will have a look at lightroomforums, although before opening this post i did search for a while including there without success...

7. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Well, i reply to myself for future reference in case others stumble on this problem.
    I got a new PC along with the E-M5; among MANY things i had to reinstall i forgot to recalibrate my monitor.
    Everything looked OK for everything else but these new E-M5 exported files, for some reason (in lightroom and photoshop they looked fine too); after calibrating the monitor with my spyder3, though, the new files look fine even outside of the Adobe programs...
    Thanks for the help,
    Daniele.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Glad to hear that you solved your problem.

--Ken

9. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    BTW, how can i edit the title with [SOLVED] in it?

10. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Congrats on solving the problem Dch.

Just for future reference, setting the camera to SRGB or ARGB is only for the in-camera JPEG engine. Lightroom will ignore that setting and use ProPhoto RGB by default, which has a wider color gamut than either SRGB / ARGB.

There's a free 3 day in-depth LR class starting over on creativeLive in about 2 hours for anyone wanting to learn more about it.

http://www.creativelive.com/courses/lightroom-essentials-lesa-snider