1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-m5 just black sometimes at 1/4000th

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Jan 27, 2015.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    An oddity I have with my recently acquired em5 is that regardless of the lens I use I sometimes get a completely flat black shot at 1/4000th shutter speed even if my meter shows above 0 and shows expected images is subsequent shots.

Curious if this is an indication of a shutter problem.

Edit: only seems to happen when it's the first of a series of shots, like if I don't do something or don't shoot a frame for a few minutes then the first new shot at that shutter speed is all black but the following shots are visible (though less exposed than the meter indicates for +0.7 or +1.0)

Edit #2 - On Page 6

On return of the repair, they did NOT fix the problem, it still has the problem despite having paid for the repair.

2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    The sticky shutter is a known issue. I had it when I bought my E-M5 back in '12. I had to send my camera into Olympus, and they ended up sending me an entirely new camera.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Karl, this is/was a known issue. See the thread at:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60814

I would contact Olympus directly and see if they will warranty the repair. The going price last year from Oly was $178.00 U.S. for cameras out of warranty. However sometimes if you speak nicely and explain that you just got the camera you can get a break :thumbup:.

GardenGirl13 had a similar experience:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=30685

and the vendor replaced her E-M5.

Sorry you're having troubles.

Regards,

Jim

4. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I brought mine used from the forums here this month.

Does it only affect certain speeds or when IS is on?

Edit: hopefully it's a fluke because this will be the second time I got a em5 this month with problems if so.

Edit #2: trying burst high (9fps), I haven't reproduced the total blackness yet (but hasn't been that long in between) but I'm noticing the first shot of each burst is roughly half a stop to a third a stop darker than the rest of the images in the burst as I did manual mode, f/1.4 clear sunny day on iso 200.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It is probably not going to go away. I bought a used body that had the problem and we sent it in for a repair at the expense of the seller (a store). It is your call if it bothers you, but it is primarily impacting the fast shutter speeds.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Make sure you are very, very clear with Olympus about the problem. I thought i was the first time i sent it in, and they just cleaned the camera and sent it back. I ended up having to send it in again for a proper repair. So far so good.

Make sure that when you get it back, that the shutter has been reset. The first time i sent it and they said they "fixed it", my shutter count was not reset, 2nd time with a real fix and my shutter count was down to less than 100.

7. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    Mine had this problem twice. Once when I first bought it. Then about two years later after 25k shutter actuations. I was able to use my credit card's extended warranty to cover the repairs that time.

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    But yea it's definitely there comparing it to my E-P3 with the same lens and same settings. (though oddly when I mounted the 45/1.8 I just got to the E-P3 it was black on the LCD with the aperture showing blank like it were an adapted lens until I re-mounted it a couple times after remounting it to the E-M5).

Y3xaZER.jpg

Edit: I did send Olympus USA an email explaining what's going on and would appreciate if they can let me know what my options are.

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    It came that way? If so I would be royally bent!!

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yes, came that way, original owner says he hasn't noticed that problem but then again he didn't use high shutter speeds typically.

Basically my luck has not been good this month for obtaining an E-M5, first was the one from B&H Used that was sold as an 8+ that barely would be past a 6 in the condition I received, and now this camera which so far the only issue I have with it is what seems to be a sticky shutter mostly noticeable above 1/1,000-1/2,000. There's only about 4k shutter actuations on it now (was about mid-low 3,000 when I got it, so not much at all), and based on the debug screen it was manufactured in September of 2013.

Not sure about royally bent as it's plausible that he rarely shot high speed unless he did a lot of sports or such which I doubt, but on the other hand, what exactly can I do about it? It's sort of an AS-IS kind of arrangement when it's person-to-person. I'm mainly waiting to hear back from Olympus regarding my options.

11. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I would ask for some of my money back. Peer pressure has a lot of power on here.

12. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    Yeesh, the crusty camera guy! Sorry about your luck.

Did you agree to an "as-is" arrangement or a "working camera" arrangement?

If you didn't agree to "as-is", I'd suggest that the seller needs to make it right or refund it, and if you paid with paypal, he or she doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

I recently sold an EM-5 on another forum, and I would expect it to be coming back if I sold it with something like this going on, even if I wasn't aware. I'd probably offer to knock $100 off though in the hopes that would make it right.

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    This kind of failure is time related, It's entirely possible that it would have been OK if the OP had shot a 12 frame burst at 1/4000 second the day he got his camera. That by the way is a good QC test when you sell or buy an EM5.

I had a PEN that developed the same high speed shutter failure, and by going back and looking at underexposed pictures on my hard drive in bright sunlight, I saw it had started two months earlier, when it was still under warranty. However, making a claim on the basis of EXIFevidence seemed like a waste of time, so I paid the hundred bucks it cost to fix. For an EM5, it's l $165.85. I may be sending my own EM5 in soon for a different problem.

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Olympus is going to tell you to send it in for repair. Is it still under warranty for the original owner? Otherwise, if you have the option to return the camera, talk with the seller. They may be willing to pick up a portion of the repair cost.

Good luck,

--Ken

15. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Response from Olympus was :

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Karl,

I'd contact Olympus to see if you can purchase the 2 year extended warranty (for $99) on your used camera:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/2-year-extended-warranty-om-d-camera-body.html

and then have the body repaired under that warranty.

(This is, of course, assuming that you and the seller haven't worked out an agreement).

Regards,

Jim

17. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Would this work even if they have an email record of inquiring about repair earlier (of which I mentioned the cameras serial number). Getting a warranty after knowing of a decent seems kind of skittish.

The original owner doesn't have documentation of purchase so can't get warranty thru him, the camera itself is less than 2 years old based on a Sept 2013 manufacturer date so you know there would be warranty of there was some kind of proof of purchase available.

18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Sure, that's why I'd call 'em and ask. Give 'em all of the details (thus everything is above board) and they may surprise you by giving a positive answer. On your end you get the warranty and the repair at a reduced price and on their end they get a happy customer, more likely to spend more money on lenses for the camera.

Worst case scenario - they say no. But if ya never ask, you'll never know :thumbup:. Sometimes people (and companies) surprise you in a positive way!

Regards,

Jim

19. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I agree with Jim about asking, but I would not get my hopes up. I had a somewhat similar situation as I mentioned above, and they did charge the dealer, even though the camera still had warranty left, and the dealer had initially sold it.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  20. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    How did that happen?