1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Issue (Lock Up)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RussellOlaguer, Apr 8, 2012.

1. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Hey guys.

I hate to report this, but I am noticing one issue in our beloved E-M5.

I just noticed it this weekend when I extensively used the camera.
    I noticed that the camera sometimes locks up.
    When the camera sleeps and I try to wake it (by pressing any button), it doesn't wake up. Even switching the 'on/off' doesn't do anything. I need to remove the battery and insert it again for the camera to go back to normal.

It happens to me like around 10 times already just this weekend.
    It only happens when I'm using the 20mm.
    I didn't experience it when I'm using the 12-50 kittens or the 45mm.

I'm still investigating this issue.

I've read somewhere that some users here in Japan also have similar issue.
    I hope it can be resolved by firmware update.

Will let you know my findings.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts, and made sure that there is no play in the bayonet mount? The fact that it only happens with the 20mm lens suggests that it's probably a lens-caused issue.

DH

3. RussellOlaguer

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I am sure that the lens contacts were clean and no play in the bayonet mount.
    I am thinking that it has something to do with the 20mm being a panasonic lens. Maybe compatibility issues? I dont know.

My E-PL2 doesnt lock up when I'm using the 20mm.

Will observe more.

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I hope not all 3 of my lenses are Panny.:frown:

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Another Reason to Stay All Oly

Everybody rags on me when I bring up the 'incompatibility' word. Go ahead ... have your fun. :cool:

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Strange. Well if it works on the E-PL2, that does point to the E-M5. Do you have the 1.1 firmware on the 20/1.7? It shouldn't really matter, but perhaps...

DH

7. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Are you using the same memory card on both?

Maybe it's a bad memory card or battery. The 20 1.7 is a non MSC lens, maybe that's it.

8. RussellOlaguer

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Yes. 1.1 firmware on 20,, f1.7.

9. RussellOlaguer

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Im using different memory card in E-PL2 & E-M5.
    Im sure that both memory cards were fine.
    I dont think it is the battery.
    My 45mm & 12-50mm works fine.

10. Rick_B

Rick_B Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    West Haven, CT USA
    Rick Baumhauer
    I'll keep an eye on this when my E-M5 arrives (this week?) - I have both the 20 1.7 and 45 2.8. If it is a Panny/Oly compatibility issue, I expect we'll see firmware updates from one or both to address it in short order.

• Like Like x 1
  11. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    You're not using Eye-fi cards, are you? Some versions of the Eye-fi FW caused my GF1 to lock up randomly (mostly when it came out of sleep mode)

12. RussellOlaguer

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Not using Eye-fi.
    I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card.

13. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I used several Panasonic lenses (although I no longer have the 20mm), and have had no issues with lockup on my E-M5.

14. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Russell, Did your 20mm lens work at first, or did it lock up the first time you tried it?

15. RussellOlaguer

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    It works fine actually.
    But there were intermittent times that the camera locks up.
    I dont know what causing this situation.

Recently, I experience only one lock up during my one week use.
    Last time I experience about ten lock ups in my one photo session.

16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've had that happen three times in the last year with a mix of both my E-PL1 and the E-PL2 and a couple of different lenses. It's a little scary when you realize that the camera won't respond to anything including the power button. Removing the battery feels risky, but as it last resort it seems to be the only thing that works. Over the years I've had similar system hangs with my computers and cell phones so I just right it off to ghosts in the machine and pray that the hard power disconnect never stops working.

17. mattlee

mattlee Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2012
    Leander,Texas
    Just to throw my two cents in. Was at an airshow this weekend using the Pana 45-200 and had my E-M5 do he same thing twice when it went to sleep mode. Locked up completely.
    Had to pull the battery, remove the 45-200 and out the stock lens back on and then it powered on correctly. After that put the 45-200 back on and worked fine. Did notice erratic focusing sometime on the 45-200 also.

18. ytreephotography

ytreephotography Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    Yevette
    After reading this thread, I was really hoping there would be more details and feedback. I am just sick about my e-m5. This was supposed to be a happy thing... upgraded from e-410. If this damn camera would work, it would be awesome. I get great results and am able to produce very high quality images. That being said, I hate it! Locks up on me all the time, and I am using all Oly Micro four thirds lenses! I've invested soooooo much money thus far and was planning to get the 75mm f/1.8... I am sooo sick over this. How in the %$& am I supposed to go back to using the e-410 after using the e-m5. I seem to be able to reproduce the problem...

Let the camera go to sleep; and try to wake it by partially depressing the shutter button in the vertical orientation... seems to lock up every time. A new development today was that I tried capturing an image, and the camera acted like it did what it was supposed to. However, when I went to preview the photo, it wasn't there... thought I was going crazy. This happened more than once. I have even reset the camera to factory defaults and still have issues.

I'm ready to get every penny back that I've invested thus far and figure out how I can go a different route. I'm really sick over this whole thing.

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Have you tried turning Sleep Mode Off? It's not right that you would have to do that with a new camera, but it might let you keep using your investment until they can come out with a Firmware fix.

20. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hey Russel (and all who suffer from OMd crash)--- I feel for you. My OMd has been down last 6 hrs. Pulled battery, changed and reseated lenses, reformated card, nothing works- only manual lenses and playback. Went through about 10 pages at dpPreview and there were only 2 things discussed that I hadn't read here. I don't know how helpful, relevant or true they are, but FWIW,
    1. one poster mentioned that the upgrade to firmware 1.1 should be done without a lens attached.(I don't remember how I did mine)
    2. Another poster mentioned that there might be an IBIS issue and suggested turning on the camera with the lens facing down. then turning IBIS off, as a work around.

• Like Like x 1