E-m5 iso1000

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by heli-mech, Jun 17, 2012.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Pretty impressed with "higher" ISO's on the OM-D, great detail at ISO1000

• Like Like x 20
  2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

At least here you won't run in to Tedolf or whatever his name is.
    He truly is a awful person.
    Great shot btw.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent detail, nice!

• Like Like x 1
  4. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    LOL, not my proudest moment either but that was probably my last attempt at posting on DPreview. Alot of good people there but the vocal idiots just ruin it time and time again. Every sub-forum is the same, I find it completely unbelievable that it is still basically unmoderated. My personality and DPreview just don't mix..... I donated to this forum today, do what I can to keep it going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Site supporter fist bump!

- Eliot@Austin, TX

• Like Like x 2
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Wow... Just read the thread in question on DPR - there really are a lot of wanksrs over there...

Oh well, I'll risk tedolf's wrath and like the picture :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Well, guess I am just an idiot who knows nothing about photography, but I happen to like your picture as well. It's a cute, candid shot, and the eyes are captivating... Not to mention that the details are amazing...

BTW, "donkeybutt" is a good one... :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I said it there, and I'll say it here -- great shot. It demonstrates the technical piece you are talking about -- good high ISO and sharpness, and is IMO a great shot that shows the tot's character! Well done, and thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

yes that's the main reason why I hardly ever post anything over there.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I'm glad I got to see the image in question after the flap at dPreview. I had something to say about it there and have something to say here as well.

Excellent shot!

Sorry about the ridiculous exchange at the 'other' place!

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I find no objectionable distortion in the image, which is wonderful. The 25mm(50mm) FOV is great for this sort of thing, yielding a nice, intimate shot, free of weird distortion. If you'd got this close with the 20 or 17, you'd probably notice more (your choice though) but with the 25 I think you were well within the capabilities of the lens and FOV. If the guy on DP is so pathetic that he needs written authority to do anything, he's part of the problem, on many fronts, not someone whose advice needs to be taken seriously. It's a terrific shot, the kind you get when you SEE what a lens does. I don't see distortion; I feel like a baby has stuck his/her face really close to mine-- kind of lovely, really.

12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    A bit more. I don't notice the nose elongated, the mouth widened, the face spread unnaturally. I don't see any obvious geometric distortion. I see CLOSE. It makes some people nervous.

13. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Thanks guys. That guy is really a piece of work. Saw this quote on dpreview today and I think I should take it to heart:

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” Mark Twain

And for the record I do like the shot, not for technical reasons, just because I think it was a cute picture. What really got me when I was processing my photos was the detail at ISO1000, while not really high ISO it still impressed me.

14. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I like the shot myself as well! Despite the grain, tons of sharpness and detail remins. Was this JPEG or RAW?

Any distortion here is imo, insignificant. In fact I like the minimal distortion because it highlights the fact that he's a small child, adds playfulness, emphasizes the stare. The underexposure also highlights the detail/noise performance, since a well exposed high iso shot will look better than an dark one.

I may be a recent photographer, but I do know a little bit more about other visual arts. If every painter looked for technical perfection, the world would be missing most of its greatest paintings!

In truth I actually wrote a long-winded response to tedolf before I decided I was wasting my time and didn't post. My main thing was that if he's going to criticize the photo, AT LEAST comment on the technical aspect of the photo. At no moment did you ask for C&C, and though he's allowed to post his opinion, he could've at least tried to stay relevant to the topic by commenting on the detail at 1000. Instead he instigates a troll parade by irrelevantly commenting on your technique.

For me the worst part are when people think it's better to capture no shot than to capture a technically imperfect one. Maybe when you only had 24 exposures for film, then yea, and you needed to place these in art gallery. If you just want to share a nice snapshot with people, then no. Dpreview's m43 forums really push me to the limits sometimes.

15. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Jpeg, pretty much straight from the camera. Just a touch of local contrast and slight resize (for the full size version if you click on the picture).

16. Tedolph

Tedolph New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2014
    Seattle, Washington
    Really?

Tedolph

17. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    why do i hear violin music?

[video=youtube;sf2qdm958o8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf2qdm958o8[/video]