1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 IS questions.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ice_man, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Hi guys, I've tried searching about IS questions here and didn't find one. So here goes...

I am really confused about the IS. There are 3 kinds, and I am not yet so sure about which one to use. Can anyone explain the difference? Thanks.

Also, you have the option to select the focal lengths for your lenses. What do I need to select on there if I use my 12-50 kitlens? Should I set it to 12mm?

Also, what if I use a panasonic lens like the 14mm? There's no option for 14mm on the list. How about if I use my Oly45mm? Should I set it to 48mm or 90mm on the IS? How about the Oly40-150?

Thanks Guys.

Tapatalk.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    IS1 is normal stabilization in all dimensions. IS2 stabilizes only along the vertical axis (useful for horizontal panning) and IS3 stabilizes on the horizontal axis (useful for vertical panning).

The camera will automatically use the right focal length for all native (m4/3 and 4/3) lenses. The camera ignores that field for such lenses. For non-native lenses, you should use the value closest to the actual focal length of the lens

3. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Aaahh thanks bro. You just saved me from a lot of reading and searching on the net.

So, I don't have to mind anything as long as I'm using all native lenses.

Thanks again.

Tapatalk.

4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    what if you're using a zoom lens?

will the camera use the right focal length automatically for all m4/3 lenses or only olympus lenses?

thanks!

5. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Native lenses will report their focal length to the camera, even zooms. I noticed this with the 12-50mm kit lens. I thought it was neat to see the focal length in the viewfinder.