E-M5 is not an entry level OM-D?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by wjiang, Dec 18, 2013.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apparently we're about to get a baby OM-D that is NOT the E-M5 replacement (that's yet to come). Note that it's actually FT5 and corrected to say E-M1 processor (Truepic VII) but E-M5 sensor (so no PDAF).

I'm not sure how it will be more entry-level than the E-M5 unless they purposely take steps backward on things like burst performance, maximum shutter speed, and flash sync speed. Maybe drop weather sealing?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's the weather sealing.
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I think what makes it an "OM-D" for Olympus (vs. a Pen) is the body shape and EVF, but who knows? Given that, there are all kind of feature variations one could have. Look at the Nikon DSLR range or Canon's Rebels.
  4. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

Not much of an improvement on the E-M5 then, basically E-P5 specs (including Wi-Fi) in an OM-D chassis...
  6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Compared to entry-level DSLRs and mirrorless, the E-M5 is feature-packed. It sounds like they won't be making an entry-level OM-D, but if they wanted to, they certainly could. Look at the E-PM* vs. E-PL* vs. E-P* lines. You've listed a couple of lower-level changes: no weather sealing, usually found only on high-end cameras, and lower burst speed would be two obvious choices. Fewer direct controls, less customizable menus/buttons and a plastic (vs. magnesium) body would be others. As bassman notes, it's the body shape with the built-in EVF is what makes an OM-D.

This is like asking how Nikon could make an entry-level FF below the D610 (if they wanted to.) The D610 is on-par with the D7000/D7100, feature-wise, so they could make a FF D5300 or even D3200 (not that they would, but they certainly could.)
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    This rumour is all over the shop. I wonder if they will include the phase detection sensor with the replacement? From previous posts on the rumour site, it seems like they won't. A slight let down, but I may consider the upgrade if they fix some of the other little issues that I found annoying with the OMD.

If they plan on continuing to sell the EM5 when the replacement comes out, this suggest to me that either the replacement is going to be more expensive, or they will need to discount the EM5 significantly.
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Nothing like undefined hints of the next camera version coming in January to slow down Christmas sales of the one you just released a few months ago. Perfect example of Olympus Marketing...
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    What do the pronouncements (whether or not they are accurate) of a third party rumors site have to do with Olympus Marketing???
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Keenly watching for this announcement. For me, the most important improvements would be focus peaking and the new image processor (Truepic 7, is it?) that nukes CA. Beyond that, improved (not squishy) buttons, and the feature that disables the EVF eye sensor when the screen tilted. Those would be huge usability improvements in my opinion.

PDAF would be great, although it sounds like I probably shouldn't be expecting that.

The VF-4 EVF, the EM-1 sensor, 1/8000th shutter, better IBIS... these aren't as important to me.
  11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Things I want from E-M5mk2:
    - VF-4 (check)
    - E-M1 IBIS (check)
    - Better sensor / cleaner image (not gonna happen)
    - Better video (25fps, better codec, higher bitrate) (very unlikely)

So, based on these rumours so far... I won't be getting what I want and therefore can't justify paying 1000 euros for minor (IMO) upgrade. :mad:

I WISH the rumours about three OMDs is the correct one and not the latest.
  12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Waiting eagerly for more concrete specs. This is definitely keeping me on the fence as far as getting an Em5 right now.
    Mainly hoping for the new Vf4 to be included. Other things are nice too but not decisive for me.
  13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    This particular rumor started life as at least two conversations with someone from inside Olympus. I perhaps improperly assumed it was Marketing because in our company no one else could leak something like this before Christmas without getting fired for it.

14. wjiang

This should hopefully mean bargain E-M5 prices as well!