1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-m5 Image delay question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Henry, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    Hello everyone, first a very Merrry Christmas!

I own the E-m5 a couple of months now, I noticed that the photo I take is not the same as the own it displays for a 2 seconds (My Rec View is set to 2 sec).

It doesn't sound normal. My E-pl1 and E-p3 did not behaving like this.

II have tried everything. My Anti-Shock in set to Off. I have tried with IS Off too...

Is this a problem? Any thoughts?

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is it a problem? Yes if you like the displayed image and not the photo that was taken. No otherwise.

I think what you're trying to ask is why is there a difference and we can't tell you without more information.

The simplest reason for a difference would be that you're shooting RAW because the image the camera displays is a JPEG which is rendered according to a number of settings that don't apply to the RAW file. There are also some display settings which adjust the way images are displayed on the camera's screen and in the viewfinder which don't apply to the photo file, whether that is a RAW file of JPEG.

The other thing that will make a difference is the application you are viewing the photos in on your computer and whether it is applying some default settings to the file which change the look of the image when you import it onto your computer.

I'd say the reason for the difference lies on one or more of those 3 things but none of us have any way of knowing what is happening based on the information you provided.

3. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I understood (incorrectly?) that the problem is a delay between pressing the shutter release button and the camera actually taking the picture. For what it is worth, I once had such a delay problem in my E-PL1 that I couldn't explain. Then I noticed that the camera was getting unusually warm. I happened to be using an inexpensive replacement battery. After I put in an original Olympus battery, the problem disappeared (not immediately, but after a few shots with the Olympus battery). So I don't really know that the battery was the problem, but it might be worth checking.

4. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    Yes, I am shooting Large Super Fine + Raw like I did with my other cameras. Both files are the same when transferred to the computer. It is the Rec View display that is different and somehow becomes confusing while shooting. What other setting could it be? I have no Art filter of effects on...

5. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    To relic:
    Yes it sounds that way.. the Rec View displays a picture and the actually one taken is different.
    My E-m5 is a refurb from Olympus and I have the original battery..

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Note also that if you press the 'Play' button immediately after taking a photo, it does nothing. You need to wait 3 or so seconds. I assume this is because there is still some processing going on, but it's a nuisance if you're used to something like Nikon.

7. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    I know about this detail and I am used to the wait... (I never owned a Nikon and probably I never will :smile:)

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Different how?

9. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    It seems to be a lag of a second or maybe less but the first image that the camera shows of the Rec View is not the one that is recorded on the card. I did many tests.. One of the tests was, I intentionally shake my hand so the first image was blurred but the second image was stabilized in focus. I though it was because of the IS. I turned the IS off and did the same thing.