E-M5 III custom settings is baffling...Help?

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I posted this over at DPR, but I guess those guys do more talking than shooting.

Anyway, I need some help with navigating the Custom settings feature on my E-M5 III

The E-M5 III has the ability to store 3 sets of custom shooting settings. However, only the set that is assigned to “C” will load automatically when the mode dial is turned to the C mode. If I want to use a second set of shooting parameters that I have stored in C2 or C3 I must go into the menu and select the stored settings and those settings will override any and all settings currently under modes A, S, M, or P.

Now the baffling part. Let’s assume that I have a set of shooting parameters that I like for monochrome B&W stored in C2. So... if I select the C2 B&W settings, all mode dial function are now B&W. The rub is that I can't find any way to return the A, S, M, and P modes to their original color settings without either 1) going to the SCP and reentering all the color shooting parameters or 2) store my standard shooting settings under C3, and reload everything from there, effectively eliminating the use of the third custom storage, C3. Surely, I am missing something here, but I have looked and looked in the user manual and find scant little about this.

The settings assigned to the “C” storage do not act like this, however, and simply returning the mode dial to one of the other positions (A, S, M, or P) restores my standard settings.

My hope in posting this is that someone may have instigated a better system for the E-M5 II Custom modes than I have come up with.

Thanks in advance....

Gary

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Hi Gary,

Haven't played a lot with this, but I've only accessed C settings via the C position on the dial. This way, it doesn't effect the A, S modes etc. I'm actually surprised they allow implementing C settings from anywhere other than C .

One thing I have noticed is that in normal modes, changing the colour profile in the scp remembers previous adjustments to the contrast, sharpness etc. But not iso/wb changes.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi Gary,

Haven't played a lot with this, but I've only accessed C settings via the C position on the dial. This way, it doesn't effect the A, S modes etc. I'm actually surprised they allow implementing C settings from anywhere other than C .

One thing I have noticed is that in normal modes, changing the colour profile in the scp remembers previous adjustments to the contrast, sharpness etc. But not iso/wb changes.
As long as I was satisfied with just the plain C settings all was well. It was only after I wanted to save and use a second set of parameters under C2 that I ran into trouble. If I cannot find another solution I'll just have to use C3 for my default settings.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Must admit I did this for my E-M1 Mkii, as I am still used to the E-M5 Mkii Mysets where there is no C position. I used C1 as my default settings, so I could always recover them to my main setting.

Real Name
M@
I'm only a little bummed I can't use C for video settings. If I shoot in 1080p or 4k at 30FPS, I set the shutter speed to 1/60.. but if I switch to 1080p 60FPS, I have to switch the shutter speed to 1/120. Given I use video in full manual mode, I have to change the shutter speed, and it takes like 400 turns of the dial to go from 1/60 to 1/120. (it IS kinda neat that you can select really fine-tuned shutter speeds, though)

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Just set a custom monochrome to C1 and an art filter to C2. As long as I access either from the "C" position , it doesn't over ride any of the A,S,M settings, moving the dial to these brings up whatever colour profiles etc they had previously been. When I move back to C on the dial, it automatically brings up C1 even if I'd previously selected C2.

I can live with that. I doubt I'd ever call up a C setting from the mode dial in Aperture, for example. Which seems to be Gary's issue with it (I'm not game to try because I don't want to have to go through and reset my daily settings, lol).

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Not 100% clear on what youre asking , but:

I'm in aperture mode and have set colour profile to neutral but +1 on sharpness and +1 on saturation.

I move mode dial to C, brings up my monochrome custom settings.

I move mode dial back to A, it returns to neutral colour profile and remembers the +1 settings.

Now, if I then go to SCP and toggle through the colour profiles it also remembers any changes I may have made - eg Vivid, -1 saturation , +1 sharpness. Toggle back to neutral and it still retains the plus settings.

What it doesn't remember for each colour profile in the scp are Iso or WB changes etc. Those are set for overall camera operation. You have to use a custom spot to recall any of those.

Hope this is clearer than the Oly menus are! Lol.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not 100% clear on what youre asking , but:

I'm in aperture mode and have set colour profile to neutral but +1 on sharpness and +1 on saturation.

I move mode dial to C, brings up my monochrome custom settings.

I move mode dial back to A, it returns to neutral colour profile and remembers the +1 settings.

Now, if I then go to SCP and toggle through the colour profiles it also remembers any changes I may have made - eg Vivid, -1 saturation , +1 sharpness. Toggle back to neutral and it still retains the plus settings.

What it doesn't remember for each colour profile in the scp are Iso or WB changes etc. Those are set for overall camera operation. You have to use a custom spot to recall any of those.
Hope this is clearer than the Oly menus are! Lol.
Thanks for detailed response, it helps and...

Yes if I am only using the C setting, toggling back to the PASM modes returns all my standard settings. However, if I have saved some particular settings to C2 or C3 and want to use those settings (without assigning then to “C” I can only use them by overloading all my standard PASM settings (in the custom settings menu “recall from custom mode” and there is no going back, I must reset all the parameters via the SCP....at least I have not found another way.

Here amy actual settings

Normal settings for me is Vivid, highlights -2, all else default

C mode is my action mode...Vivid, highlights -2, shutter speed 1/2500, C-AF, Low sequential, Auto ISO.

C2 is for B&W...Monochrome, highlights +4, shadows -4, contrast +1, S-AF+Manual.

Switching between my normal setting and my C action settings and back to any PASM mode via the mode dial is no problem, all settings reload as one would expect, both ways. But now I want to use my C2 B&W settings. The only way I know how to use these settings is to go to the menu “Reset / Custom Modes” > Recall from Custom Mode and select my C2 B&W settings. This overwrites all my Normal shooting parameters for PASM, but not C, and there is no way back to my normal settings, unless I load all my normal settings as C3 and than menu dive back into Recall from Custom mode and select C3, or reset them all via the SCP.

Hope this is a clear as mud.... good grief! I’m hoping there is a better way, but maybe not.

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Switching between my normal setting and my C action settings and back to any PASM mode via the mode dial is no problem, all settings reload as one would expect, both ways. But now I want to use my C2 B&W settings. The only way I know how to use these settings is to go to the menu “Reset / Custom Modes” > Recall from Custom Mode and select my C2 B&W settings. This overwrites all my Normal shooting parameters for PASM, but not C, and there is no way back to my normal settings, unless I load all my normal settings as C3 and than menu dive back into Recall from Custom mode and select C3, or reset them all via the SCP.
Can you first set the Mode Dial to C and only then recall C2 with the menu? If C2 becomes active, are you then restored to your everyday settings when you rotate the Mode dial back to its previous setting? What settings do you get if you then return the Mode Dial to C?

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Can you first set the Mode Dial to C and only then recall C2 with the menu? If C2 becomes active, are you then restored to your everyday settings when you rotate the Mode dial back to its previous setting? What settings do you get if you then return the Mode Dial to C?
No, The C on the mode dial works just like any C mode in every other Olympus camera I have had... whatever settings you have assigned to the C mode will have no bearing in the the PASM modes, and are retained as a discrete set that are recalled when the mode dial is turned to C.

The other C2 and C3 settings are not accessible from the mode dial, only from the menu, and they overwrite all the PASM settings when activated...except the C on the mode dial....kind of strange.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is the key. As long as mode dial = C, you can call up any of the three sets without over riding the whole camera.
Thanks, good tip.

I just tried it and you are right. If I have the mode dial set to C and recall my C2 B&W settings, it only affects the C mode and no other PASM settings. However, if I move the mode dial from C to another PASM mode and than move back to C the C2 settings are lost and the original C (action) settings are returned.... but this may be better than what I was previously trying.

Thanks again,
Gary

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
This is the key. As long as mode dial = C, you can call up any of the three sets without over riding the whole camera.
For what it's worth, that is how my Panasonic GX85 handles custom settings as well - there is only one "C" on the mode dial but you can save three different slots, choosing which one you want to load is the first option that comes up when you hit the Menu button if you're in "C" mode. Unlike the E-M5, however, it remembers which custom setting you had loaded if you turn the mode dial away from C and then back. Probably worth sending a feedback/suggestion to Olympus, that sounds like something they could easily add in a firmware update.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think what you might have missed is that when you save the settings in the C mode, you must have the Mode dial set to the position you want when you use the C mode. I'll try to make it clearer.
Example.
You want a C mode to have various settings and you want it to be A mode with an aperture of 5.6.
Put the mode dial to A, set the aperture to 5.6. Set all the other settings you want. Now store all that in the C setting.

Now when you turn the dial to the C setting you will find you are in A mode, aperture 5.6.

My settings
I have C2 set to S mode 1/1000s
I have C3 set to M mode, 1/250s, f/5.6, ISO 400.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the response.
Yup, I do understand that is the way the “saving” works, it was the “recall” that I was confused on.... best be in C mode when you recall, lest all other PASM modes get overwritten as well.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One more tip. I have C1 set to all my normal settings. Then I can simply go into the menu and recall C1 and all my normal PASM settings are restored.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One more tip. I have C1 set to all my normal settings. Then I can simply go into the menu and recall C1 and all my normal PASM settings are restored.
I have my “normals” now loaded to C3, so if I set my mode dial to any PASM setting and recall C3, my normals are reloaded for all PASM. Similar to your scheme.

One other issue, maybe related. Workspace does not recognize the E-M5 III if I want to save off my firmware settings, like I can with my E-M1 II and Pen F. I have talked with my dealer and they have confirmed this omission with Olympus...hopefully to be rectified in the upcoming release of WS 1.3

Have you found this, as well?

Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom