1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 ii with HLD-8G - how does it handle?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Does anyone have the E-M5 ii with the HLD-8G grip yet? I tried the M5 ii without the grip and it just doesn't feel secure enough to hold. I need to know whether the 8G grip makes the entire package feel comfortable and secure. Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    And while at it, can you change the battery while using the HLD-8G or does it interfere? I read somewhere that it would interfere but it cant' be right, right? :rolleyes-38:

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I saw a e-m5ii with an Arca-Swiss base plate and built-in grip which looked really nice. It has an opening for the battery and a nice grip - not unlike the e-M10's grip. I think it might be an RRS product, but I can't be sure.

4. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm using the HLD-8G with my E-M5 mk II toghether with the larger lenses (e.g. 12-40 + 40-150 f/2.8).

It fits nice (no play whatsoever) and gives it the camera a lot more ergonomic feel. And while I like the design there's a few cons:
    - The base of the HLD-8G is thinner than the camera, looks a bit weird but very minor.
    - You can't remove the battery without removing the grip. :(
    - Even tho the grip was designed for the E-M5 mk II they choose a different texture of the black metal and soft-touch material, I guess they ran out of the E-M5 mk II materials... :p

All in all I still think it's a great grip! :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I have the grip as well and everything SirGadden says is correct. But I will add this. I love my EM1 feel and adding the grip without the battery option makes the EM5 feel almost exactly like the EM1 moving the shutter button and the front dial forward. This is really a great thing in my opinion because when I want to go small and discreet say with the 17 1.8 and no grip, the camera is quite small. Almost smaller then my GX7. But then if I want to add the Noc or the 12-40 pro, the added grip is awesome for handling.

Changing the battery is kind of secondary to me because I rarely need to change the battery during any session. I am getting 600+ shots on the EM5mkii with one charge. I never shoot over 600 shots in one day. Except yesterday I shot almost 900 shots on one battery at my Son's soccer game. I have 3 batteries and I always check my battery before leaving the house. If its low I just change it out before I leave. This way the grip stays in place while out. ;)

All in all, I'd say the grip makes the EM5mkii one of the most versatile M43 cameras on the market right now. I did not get the battery portion of the grip so I kept the cost down by only buying the HLD-8G Link Its worth it in my opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Everyone that responded is correct! I have the hld-8 as well and I use it all the time whether using the Nocticron or my Panny 25 1.4. I love the extra bump (I have large hands). It is a semi pain taking it off and charging the battery, but I have the hdl-6 coming this week, so that should minimize it (takes a few seconds to take off and put on; maybe I'm lazy? lol). Honestly I think without the grip it would be a deal breaker. I shoot a ton of video as well as stills and coming from a Panny G3 (small bump) it would be really hard holding this camera (for me - I have large hands).

Get this grip its worth it! If you want the battery hdl-6 look on ebay. I got the hdl-6 grip and battery (for em5) brand new for $100. I plan selling the grip portion as it won't fit the em-5 MK2 and making up some of the difference.
    Plus the em-5 looks really nice with the grip + battery portion on, especially with my Nocticron on it ;)

7. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Could you give some info on the settings you are using to get that many shots. With my E-M1 I usually get 600 shots or more with single battery. But Saturday was my first outing with the E-M5 MKII and I had the battery grip and extra battery in. Got 732 shots total, but that was with both batteries. That included 13 minutes of video, but still 366 is a long ways from 900, even if there was some video.

And to the OP, Yes you should get a grip for the E-M5 MK II. I had the original E-M5 and bought the grip for it, and have just done so for my MK II. The camera is just too small for serious work without a added grip.

8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I was shooting SF-JPEG in Low shutter burst mode (non-electronic). Manual Focus. Vivid Color. NR off. Shadows/Highlights +1/-1. IBIS Auto. I turned the screen closed, towards the body, to keep it off. In between periods and breaks I shut the camera off completely. I used the 40-150R II lens. Total image count 841 shots. I did not see a red battery icon until a short while later after shooting some post game pics with AF and the screen turned back on.

p.s. Video takes loads of power so 13 minutes is practically 1/4+ battery life. In video I can get about 30-40 mins before battery is out depending. Not very long at all.

10. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the helpful info, everyone. Looks like I'll be getting the grip.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Wow... unless the E-M5mk2 is way more efficient than the mk1, I dunno how you all are getting such high shots =/ It's rather disappointing you have to remove the grip to change the battery.

edit: wait, did the HLD-6 also have to remove the grip for battery access? For some reason, I thought it didn't need to.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Wow indeed! I'm not going to be removing the whole grip in order to change the battery so it's time to find (read: wait for 3rd party grips)) another grip then... :doh:

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Most likely the ECG-2 grip from Olympus.

L. OLYMPUS,EM5II_2015yaotomi_04-thumb-348xauto-60818.

14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Thank you for this info, very helpful.

The 2 part grip is the same type for both E-M5's, it is just that on the updated version the upper, L shaped horizontal section changed design a bit to fit the newer body. It has an alignment pin at one end and uses the tripod socket to securely screw the grip to the body. The lower section is the battery chamber, it is the same and works with both upper parts. The lower battery section screws very securly into the horizontal L shaped section and doesn't touch the camera. There is a tripod receptacle on both grip parts. The lower battery grip has a side door, same swing design as the underside of the camera, to access its battery compartment without removing the grip and a battery change can be done in 10 seconds, same time as a camera body.

Yes you have to remove the L shaped horizontal section (and thus the battery section comes along with it) to access the cameras battery chamber, but it is no big deal. It takes 10 seconds to change the cameras body battery without a grip and maybe 30 seconds with.

The camera allows you to select which battery is used first. By selecting the grip battery first, when it is depleted the camera automatically switches over to the body battery. If you were shooting a lot and used up both batteries, by simply having a 3rd battery and putting it into the grip slot (10 seconds) you should be able to go all day without ever having to removing the whole grip to change the cameras battery.

The 2 part grip is well worth it, it doubles the battery life and adds a much needed support when using larger lenses. The L section was on my E-M5 from day 1, I only took it off to change batteries. I liked the forward placement of the shutter button the grip gives. The camera just fit my hand better, no matter what lens was on it. The lower battery part was only added on heavy shooting days. That is why, sight unseen, I ordered the upper L section for the new MkII body.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    This has no headphone jack or shutter release (gain adjustment/exposure adjustment) thus making the ergonomics of the whole setup terrible.
    The Olympus grip is far superior and makes the camera feel part of you. Do you want to spend 15 seconds taking the grip off and changing the battery or hold the camera the
    whole time and have it not feel right in your hand only to save 15 seconds? Your choice...

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Are you referring to the Pan/Leica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron? I hope so as this lens has a larger diameter than the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 and I can't use any grips (on my E-P5) because there is not enough space between the finger portion of the grip and the outer barrel of the Nocticron. If you have any photos of this lens mounted on the Mark II with grip I would greatly appreciate it! I was thinking of upgrading and I would need a grip to help with holding the camera, at least I did with the older E-M5 Mark I (didn't have the Nocticron back then).
    Thanks, Bobby

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Yes I'm referring to the Nocticron 42.5 1.2. I'll have to take some pix when I get home. There is plenty of space to MF for video/stills. Its quite comfy actually (coming from a Panny G3)
    I have the HLD-6 battery grip portion (bottom part - under the grip) coming tomorrow so if you want I can wait and take pix with all the attachments?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm only curious about the hand grip as that would be the part I'm concerned about. The battery grip/portrait grip would, I assume, not be as much of a concern as the landscape part of the grip although photos of your whole "rig" would be appreciated especially with the P/L Nocticron.
    Thanks so much,
    Bobby

19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Sounds good. I"ll take some pictures tonight of just the grip and later of the battery grip as a whole.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  20. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Different strokes for different folks, which is why Olympus makes two different grips. I don't advocate one grip or the other since it's an entirely subjective decision for each person to make.

However, to it's credit, the ECG-2 does offer two advantages:
    1. Easy access to battery compartment.
    2. Swiss Arca L-bracket, which is the main reason you would buy this grip.