1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 II: use any ISO in HDR?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by eolake, Apr 5, 2015.

1. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    When I use HDR with a E-M1, the camera sets the ISO to lowest, and I haven't found a way to change it.

Is it the same with the E-M5, or can I use any ISO I want?

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm not very familiar with HDR but I just had a play on your behalf and it seems to set ISO to a fixed 200 for HDR no matter what the camera is set to.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you mean the Mk2? The E-M5 Mk1 does not have HDR mode.

Edit: N/M, my bad.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thread title says mk2

5. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    (Yes, the Mark II, sorry to be imprecise.)

Thanks, T.N.

I'm sorry to hear it, for I think it really diminishes the use of this important feature.
    I don't know if they did it because it's easier to combine exposures if the noise is minimal, or what. But it's a pity, moreso because because combined diminish noise. (I think the iPhone 6 does this for low light, to reduce noise and perhaps even shake.) (Oh, and Fuji X10 also, I was quite happy with its low-light performance, despite the small sensor.)

6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    "When shooting for HDR it’s important to shoot at the lowest ISO possible. The higher the ISO, the more noise or grain will be in the image. Since HDR Processing always produces extra grain, brackets shot at high ISO ranges can look very poor after HDR processing." (link)

7. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Thank you kindly, I did not know that.

I think one should have the option of changing it, though. ISO 200 is not always practical.