E-M5 ii stuck switch - won’t power off

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This has probably been posted before but I can’t find where, so I figured I’d share my latest endeavor.

Got my E-M5 mk II wet and the power switch stopped working again. 5 minutes with a hairdryer fixed it the previous time. That wasn’t working so I decided to try and physically toggle the switch.

Disassembly wasn’t too difficult. I started by laying out a cotton tissue so the screws don’t go rolling away. Phillips (cross/diamond) heads size 00 fit fine.

The bottom plate comes off easily, then I moved to the left side (headphone jack - 4 screws total 2 + 2) and then peeled off the hand grip to expose 2 more screws. The last screw is inside the battery compartment.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Almost forgot: two screws behind the screen, right underneath the viewfinder.

At this point the rear panel can begin to come off, since it’s only held by two cables. I chose to disconnect the one on the right, underneath the d-pad, because it’s easier: flip the black lock up and the cable comes out.

The only thing still holding the back panel to the body is the flip screen cable.

I rotate the back so it sits on the desk and wiggle the power switch a little. That’s all it takes for the switch to start working again.

I applied some dielectric grease to the switch in the hope that the grease will protect the switch in the future.

That said, the next time the switch gets stuck and the hairdryer doesn't do the trick I will not remove the back. Just the bottom plate and the headphone jack cover so I can open the side and toggle the switch with a toothpick.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice work!
My M5ii has done this two or three times now.
Same thing, rain water in the switch.
And I also, menu, EVF auto off/on, which seemed like a great idea until the camera wouldn’t turn off. So I switched it back to manual and it working fine again.
That rubber o-ring seal under the program select dial is not to be trusted!
Actually, I don’t trust this camera’s weather resistance at all now.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
To get mine working after suspected water ingression via switch,
I placed my camera on the dash of my car, and l left it there for the afternoon in full sun. Heated it up nicely and water evaporated away.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well congratulations on the fix and thanks for posting the how to I sent mine to Olympus so I can say you saved yourself about $260 including shipping. Now how about a how-to for my Pen-F that the record button doesn't work ? (Pretty Please!)

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well congratulations on the fix and thanks for posting the how to I sent mine to Olympus so I can say you saved yourself about $260 including shipping. Now how about a how-to for my Pen-F that the record button doesn't work ? (Pretty Please!)
Unfortunately I don't have a Pen-F, so you'll have to send me yours! ;) :biggrin:

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unfortunately I don't have a Pen-F, so you'll have to send me yours! ;) :biggrin:
Hmmm, TBH I paid $200 for it and I do think the upside to Olympus repairing it is its a flat rate regardless of how many issues ( this is what I have read ) I noticed using it yesterday that Aperture priority doesn't seem to function either really not sure what the guy did but one of the function buttons is also inactive.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom