1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 ii - question about hires mode any embedded 16 mpix image

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Apr 13, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I believe that in hires mode, the RAW file contains 1 normal RAW image and then the 7 subsequent images shot with the sensor shifted. If this is correct, does anyone know whether the first image can be extracted into a separate file? The reason I'm asking is that I was tryig to stretch the boundaries of hi-res by shooting an evening landscape over the water in SF Bay. The image generally looks pretty good, but the water shows clear artifacts. If I could extract a single exposure from the RAW file, I could blend its water with the detailed, static rest of the scene in Photoshop. Thanks for any insights you may have.

2. photopoeth

photopoeth New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2015
    There are 2 RAW-Files written on the card. One with the ORF file extension (the 64 MPix Raw file) and one with the ORI file extension (the "regular" 16 MPix raw file). The problem I see here is that the single raw file is 16 MPix only.

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's a great idea, I have the same plan, but I'm not sure how to access the 16MP .ORI file file. (I'm new to Oly)

Will watch this thread with interest.

4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it, first in Photoshop, and then if that doesn't work, via Oly Viewer. If this works the way I hope, it will expand my possibilities with hi-res a bit.

5. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I just checked and found that Photoshop will open the .ori file if you rename it to xxxxxxxx.orf. This makes it possible to open the hires file and the low res file in PS and blend the two. This is useful if you take an image, such as a landscape with flowing water, where there will be artifacts from the sensor shift process in the moving water. But the areas with artifacts are also blurred so they don't really benefit from the hi-res process. Therefore, you can replace them with the same areas from the low-res copy via layer masks with little to no loss in the quality of the whole image.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's my plan :2thumbs:

7. photopoeth

photopoeth New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2015
    The ORI file is a regular raw file, so you can work with it like with ORF files. Let's see some results of this technique...

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Olympus Viewer 3 won't open it.

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Has anybody tried it with Raw Therapee?

10. photopoeth

photopoeth New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2015
    It works fine here. Did you update to the latest version 1.4.2? It's interesting though, that Olympus software cannot handle the HiRes file.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    She no go

12. photopoeth

photopoeth New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2015
    Strange. Here's a screenshot of my Olympus Viewer window. As you can see both the ORF and the ORI file are displayed as thumbnails:
    upload_2015-4-14_17-23-4.

Double click opens the filefor editing. Here's the version info:
    upload_2015-4-14_17-25-32.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Maybe it's an issue related only with Mac OSX...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Whoops now it seems to work. I'll just assume I am an idiot and move on.

Previously I was trying to open it from inside Finder using 'Open With...' and no luck. Doing it from within the OV3 Folder View seems to work.

Apologies for time wasted.

Now to try the blend of [1] the 16 MP .ORI file exported to TIFF, and [2] the 64 MP .DNG file from Adobe DNG Converter 8.8, exported to TIFF.

Since I am even more idiotic at blending layers than I am at using OV3, don't hold your breath. Hopefully someone else is trying this too.

15. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Args,
    that's the easiest part.
    Just open both files in Photoshop.
    I assume you have to resize the Lower-Res file first to match the size of the High-Res one (look in the menu "Image Size".
    Then drag the High-Res image over the Lower-Res image. Make sure it's perfectly aligned.
    Then choose the Eraser tool and pick a soft brush with a medium size.
    Now you just need to erase the areas where you see artifacts, revealing the Low-Res image without artifacts underneath.
    If you're blending a landscape image and the artifacts are in the water or in the clouds, the Low resolution of the second file won't be noticed, but if you have artifacts on areas with plenty of detail I think this method is no good.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    You have the process correct. The only thing I do differently is to use a layer mask rather than the eraser tool . This makes corrections easy if you reveal too much of the low-res image. You are also right about detail areas with artifacts. I see this method as a way to slightly extend the possibilities of hires mode. Most of the restrictions still remain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Yes dpswbab.
    It's a more secure method.
    That's the beauty of Photoshop: there's always more than one way to achieve the same tasks.

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also, PS can auto align layers for you based on content - that might be useful here.

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks guys, nice tips.
    Other than needing a tripod (like most high resolution cameras), not sure what you mean?

20. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Well, the tripod is to keep the camera from moving, but hires mode also requires no movement in the image. Therefore, things like rushing water generate some weird artifacts. If you blend in the low res image on just blurred areas (like the aforementioned rushing water), you can get a hi res image for all of the detailed stuff, and the blurred areas look fine, even though they come from the low res source.