1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 ii - problem after installing firmware 1.1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Apr 19, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Yesterday, I installed firmware 1.1 on my E-M5 ii. When I went out shooting this morning, I noticed a problem, one that is easily reproducible. If I have the camera powered on and don't use it for long enough for it to go into sleep mode, it oftentimes will not wake up when I press the shutter button, either the one on the body or the one on the HLD-8G grip. There seems to be a time limit under which the camera responds normally, but if it has been asleep for more than 5 minutes or so, I have to flip the power switch off and then back on to get the camera working again. Would some of you who have this firmware installed please try to reproduce this problem. I'd like to verify that it is not just my camera before I contact Olympus. I guess it might also be dependent on certain settings, so I will do a reset to factory values and test some more. Thanks.

2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Have you tried checking your settings? Update may have overwritten some or all of them.

3. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Yeah. Check settings. Sounds like a menu timeout selection.

4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I have done a full reset and that 'appears' to have fixed the problem. I am going out shooting this evening, so I should have more info to post tomorrow.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I noticed the same thing.

6. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    During last evening's shoot, I didn't have any further problems with the camera waking up from sleep mode, so I guess the full reset fixed the issue. I wish Olympus would include this info in the upgrade instructions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I need to test my camera to see if that happens.
    I've updated the firmware last week and I've used the camera for a few shoots during weekend but didn't noticed that problem.
    Maybe it's caused by a combination of certain settings...

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You need to check Menu *K, Utility, Quick Sleep Mode as the default (in the manual) is 3 seconds for each & described on page 110 of the manual. Also check Menu *D, Sleep (default 1 min) & Auto Power Off (default 4 hours) described on page 103.

I would suggest you don't just hope it's fixed with a reset but actually know what these settings are at now. The Quick Sleep Mode is a new feature & needs to be understood what happens if it is ON.

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Good point about the sleep mode coming back on with a full reset, I'd forgotten, sorted now.

But the 'won't wake up' issue in the OP was happening for me with Quick Sleep off, after update, before reset.

10. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    After the firmware install on the E-M5 II, did anyone recheck their settings (menu customization) to see if anything changed? I believe in my case AntiShock 0 was turned off, I turned it back on. Just curious.
    Regards, Larry

11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've just checked my camera and the AntiShock setting keep turned On.
    I did not yet have the time/patience to try to reproduce the sleep mode problem.