1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 II & pro zooms or E-M1 zoom bundle?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by c0ldc0ne, Jun 28, 2015.

1. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Several of my local retailers currently offer a bundle with the E-M1 and the 12-40 and 40-150 pro lenses for €3000. Considering the list price for the Ienses when purchased separately, this would get me an E-M1 for €600 (less than half the €1300 list price).

I am looking to purchase an E-M5 II together with the two pro lenses, but now I'm wondering if it makes financial sense to buy the E-M1 bundle instead (sell the E-M1 for anything between €600 and €1300, buy the E-M5 II and come out ahead).

Where's the flaw in my reasoning? :)

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You could ask the retailers if they are willing to do the same offer for the E-M5 II too, why not.
    Otherwise is there any specific reason for not keeping the E-M1?

3. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I have contemplated going for the E-M1 instead, but I am drawn to some of the E-M5 II's relative advantages, such as the smaller body, better video options and swivelling LCD. And since I don't own any 4/3 lenses, I don't need the E-M1's PDAF.

4. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Any other thoughts? I forgot to mention that the bundle also comes with a complimentary grip which retails at ~ €200, so that would effectively mean that the E-M1 accounts for just €400 of the bundle price.

Would it be advisable to opt for an E-M1 instead of an E-M5 II if one doesn't need PDAF for legacy lenses but does appreciate the swiveling display, improved IBIS and video options of the latter? What can we realistically expect Olympus to deliver in terms of firmware updates to keep the E-M1 at (or bring it back to) the top of the heap (i.e. equivalent to the E-M5 II)?

5. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I think you should go for it. I opted for an em5ii simply because I wanted the latest offering and at the time, the camera store I bought from had it cheaper than the em1. I do like the small size of the body, but the em1 feels better in hand. When the hdl8g grip is added the the em5ii, the ergonomics improve, but I'd say the em1 still "feels" better.

I don't think the IBIS is realistically a huge factor between the two, and the swiveling screen can be useful depending on how you intend to use it. The high res mode is cool, but very limited in application. For me that leaves video as the one major reason to get the em5ii for a higher price. If video is really important to you, then that would be the reason to not pull the trigger. Otherwise, it seems like a really good deal.

6. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks for supporting my line of thought.

I guess I'd feel more confident about this decision if I knew that Olympus was going to nudge the E-M1 towards the E-M5 II with an upcoming firmware update instead of reserving all improvements for the E-M1 II. I don't shoot a lot of video, but just enough to appreciate the upgrades that were introduced with the E-M5 II.

I don't care about the high res mode and you're probably right about the negligible difference as far as IBIS is concerned. The swiveling screen would be a boon though, especially for shooting at odd angles in portrait orientation which is cumbersome with the E-M5 / E-M1.

I will see if I can find a retailer to offer the same bundle with an E-M5 II. If the "upgrade" costs me an arm and a leg though, I'll go with the E-M1 instead. We don't get a lot of deals in our neck of the woods, and this does indeed look like a good one.