E-M5 II new firmware 1.1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by T N Args, Apr 16, 2015.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Issued 16 April 2015 (link)
    • Function has been modified so that audio can be faded out of movie files created with My Clips editing.
    • Speed at which information is displayed when the camera is turned on has been improved.
    • The issue of noise appearing in images captured while shooting with High Res Shot has been corrected.

I'm over the moon about the second dot point! Must try it!

• Like Like x 2
  2. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I checked the Olympus USA site, and could not find any firmware download available at this time. Where did you find version 1.1 for the E-M5 II?

3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I linked it in post #1

4. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Found it on the Japan site, will update in the morning. Thanks.

5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Completed the update and startup is definitely much faster -- I would say 50% faster.

Almost all of the 'waiting' is gone -- turn on the camera, raise it to the eye and the screen is just flicking from black to image.

• Like Like x 2
  6. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    It's nice to see Olympus has finally begun to embrace what firmware updates can bring to the lineup. It's awesome to still get big updates for my E-M1. And seeing you guys getting quick fixes for the E-M5ii gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about the future of Oly bodies and firmware updates. They've seen the light!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Not quite. Two months after release, Olympus Viewer 3 version 1.4.2 still contains a bug that makes it unusable for me (it crashes on TIFF output). I have now reported the bug three times.

Brian

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Well if they can't replicate it, the problem is yours, Brian.

I have 1.4.2 did a TIFF export from a RAW image right now, no problem.

9. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Software issues are very different from firmware issues. There are 8 million variables with software on your end that could be creating the problem. Oly techs may have been unable to reproduce the error you are experiencing. Not to say it's your fault, just that addressing issues with software and firmware are 2 very different processes.

10. Brian Beezley

The error occurs for me when attempting to output an image with reduced size, below around 1500 pixels as I recall. Have you tried that?

Brian

err1.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Worked well. 800x600, 16-bit TIFF

12. Brian Beezley

Thanks for trying that. Perhaps the problem only occurs for Windows XP, which I am using. But the previous OV3 version works fine. The issue arose only with 1.4.2. They seem to have changed something in their TIFF generation in that release.

Brian

13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Windows XP? :wtf: I think I had a Commodore Amiga in that era....

In general, if your system has any of the 'oldest/smallest' specs in the System Requirements list, it's going to be hard yakka all the way.

14. Brian Beezley

My system easily exceeds all minimum requirements. I have reported OV3 bugs in the past and Olympus has quickly fixed them. This time I had to resubmit my report just to get a response from US Olympus. And there is still no response from Japan, where they forward user reports to the software guys.

I wrote software professionally for many years. I considered user bug reports to be a great help. They instantly commanded my full attention. In fact, my goal was never to go to sleep with a bug outstanding. I don't believe I ever did.

Brian

Edit - I just realized from Larry's post that follows that my ramblings have nothing to do with the original subject. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Just completed my update, all went well + it updated my 12-40 PRO Lens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Access to the shooting functions immediately after start up has most definitely improved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    "The issue of noise appearing in images captured while shooting with High Res Shot has been corrected."
    Any idea what that one is about? I haven't heard of such an issue.

18. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Is the update process fairly simple? I have never done one of these on any digital camera and have read horror stories about failures leaving the camera or lens unusable.

19. PowerHawk2015

PowerHawk2015 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
  20. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Does anyone know if it would be possible via an update to have 60fps in all intra movie mode vs 24 and 30? The higher bit recording mode? 77mbits?