E-M5 II - movie tele-converter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AGeiger, Feb 18, 2015.

1. AGeiger

AGeiger New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2015
    I couldn't find any further information on that:
    What is the crop factor added by the tele-converter in movie mode to your footage?
    Anyone who might have tested it? Feedback about video quality with active tele-converter very much appreciated.
    Rgds, Andreas
  2. Hi Andreas,

While I haven't used it on the E-M5MKII, I do use it a lot on my E-M1, and it's a great feature. I think a lot of people ignore it because they assume it's a lower res converter, or an up-sampled one. I fact, it stays at the same resolution, by using a denser group of pixels in 1080. On the Em1 and E-M5 II, it gives a 4x magnification factor.

The best explanation I've seen is that from Luminous Landscape on the similar feature in the GH2 here. I have never used a GH camera, but here are a couple of videos I've taken using the feature on my E-M1:
    Gwen Stefani Concert, using the 75-300II:

Whirling Dervishes, using the 45/1.8:

Both these were hand held, just casual videos to record the events for my kids. The really cool things about the feature are that there is no resolution loss, and that aperture effectively remains the same: in other words, the 45/1.8 effectively becomes a 360/1.8 (35mm equivalent) as far as detail and exposure goes, for video. The 75-300/4.6-6.7 becomes a 2400mm/6.7 equiv at the long end! I was sitting about 100m away from Gwen Stefani at that concert, but can easily make out the details of her earphones etc (look at the transition about 36/37s).

Cheers, Tom
  3. AGeiger

AGeiger New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2015
    Hi Tom, thank you for your answer - looks pretty good.
    I'm wondering a bit about the factor - but will do some tests with my E-P5 to figure that out - should be the same factor, as the sensor has same pixel width.
    KR, Andreas