E-M5 II: How do you focus video in AF-S when using the shutter button to start shooting?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dalemccl, Dec 5, 2015.

1. dalemccl

dalemccl Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    I just got the E-M5 II. I like to shoot video using the regular shutter button to start and stop rather than the little red movie button. This can be done when the mode dial is set to the movie icon, and with a setting to use the shutter button to start and stop video when in this mode. I have movie shooting set to AF-S because I normally shoot a static scene and don't follow a subject, nor do I pan or zoom during shooting --- and I don't want any focus hunting while shooting.

The problem I have is I can't figure out how to focus before starting video shooting when the camera is set up as described above. In other modes, such as shutter priority, I would half-depress the shutter button to focus, then press the red movie button to start recording.

How can I focus before I start shooting video when the mode dial is set to movie, and the shutter button is set up to start and stop movie recording?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Use the little red button! mode 2 for video should switch the function of the two buttons.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. dalemccl

dalemccl Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Thank you eteless! That worked perfectly.