E-M5 II High Res for film scanning!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ronk

ronk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Twin Cities, MN
    Interesting of the the high res indeed! Makes me wish I'd held on to my old darkroom copystand. I do have a lot of old negs, ...oh, and I just need the e-5 mk ii too .;)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Very interesting, although I suspect you'd need to be dealing with very good medium format film negatives to benefit from the full 40 MP.

Last year I copied a large number of 35mm Kodachrome slides using my E-M5. It was somewhat disappointing to see that even the best of them don't have as much detail as a typical digital shot.
  3. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    If you own an OLY 60 f/2.8 macro, the following thread is very informative about copying slides:

I have use it to recover some of my old slides and works quite well, even though contrast can be an issue. Instead of an iPad, as described in the first post of this thread, I used a Gepe Slim Lite illuminator, as it provides a 5000K color-corrected light.

I got the Polaroid Slide Duplicator just for the tube and slides holder (without the lens that comes with it), an step-up ring 46 to 52mm. and an extension tube to get the frame correctly.

I hope this will be helpful as another guide for slides copying.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Would be interesting to see a control of just a standard exposure next to the high red mode to see how much is added by the high res mode in that setup.
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    This discussion topic re-emerges periodically over the decades. The same issues remain despite megapixel changes. Works OK for slides, but not well for negatives. Also does not have dust removal.

As much as I wish otherwise the Nikon or Minolta scanners are still the best solution, followed by flatbeds and cameras.
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I use an Imacon which doesn't have dust removal and I would still rate it very highly, neg or slide doesn't really matter.

Flatbeds have never been all that good contrary to DPI claims they've never been able to achieve.
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    The imacon is not a camera and you have more control over the levels. Scanning colour neg really pushes the friendship as the blue channel is much darker

I agree about flatbed DPI, but you can put 20 slides on and do something else. Also as film formats get bigger the flatbed walks away from the camera as capture. I scan 4x5 sheet negatives.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/scan tips
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Agreed, I can just change the analog gain etc on the CCD if/when I need to change levels... something I don't think camera (CMOS, ccd would) nor flatbed has access to :)

The real weakness as you say is batch scanning, I can only do about 6 frames of 135 or 4 of 6x6 (or 1 of 4x5), although these are done in a few minutes.
  10. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    I've just stumbled on this technique and with a VERY crude legacy macro lens (a standard zoom that has some "macro ability") and using a rudimentary thrown together setup I was able to have fairly good success on this image.

[​IMG]Water Dog-1 by Nick Wright, on Flickr

I intend to move forward with this technique using my EM-5, honing the process as I go for repeat-ability, speed and quality. I didn't just stumble on an old OM-2 to just have it sit on a shelf for the rest of it's life :)
    • Like Like x 3