E-M5 II grip ideas

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manju69, Apr 23, 2016.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hi folks. I have the E-M5 II and I have been noticing I'd really like a little extra grip ( but only a little ) - it's really about the shape of the one they put on. It helps a bit but it's not ergonomic at all. All the official grips I have seen add significant size to it so I have two questions.

Which is the smaller grip? Official or not?
    And is there another option. Stick on? Something else?

Any recommendations?

It's strange that the supplied grip areas is designed in this way. (Which works fine with small lenses BTW but with the 12-40 is left wanting)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I have both of these and they are excellent! I love how the shutter release button is on both grips. Plus the battery grip has extra function buttons if needed.

Check eBay or for the sale forums for cheaper options.

If you want something a bit smaller this is probably your best bet, but no shutter button on it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I have the Fotodiox grip and it makes handling much much better. I would not say it makes the camera much bigger. Without some kind of grip I find the camera too heavy to be usable IMHO. It's like a dense thin brick you have to hold with only your fingers.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I also have the Fotodiox grip, and with one caveat am very happy with how the camera handles with the 12-40. The big problem I found though is that with the grip the placement of the D-ring on the right side was highly annoying - it was right under where I wanted my finger to fall. I solved this with a Peak Design SlideLight - connected the straps on the left lug and the tripod plate. This leaves the right stud completely free/empty. It seems a bit disappointing to have to spend almost $100 to improve the handling, but having done it I'm very happy with the results.
  5. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    I have the fotodiox grip and love it. I pop it on when I use my 7-14 f/2.8 and it's all good.
  6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  7. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    The best external grip, by far, is the JB grip. This custom made wood grip substantially improves the ergonomics of the E-M5ii. It is pricey, but worth every penny IMO. I bought my JB grip at Amazon. I use these grips on all of my cameras. Highly recommended!!
  8. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    If you just want a bit more grip, check this post showing an E-P5 with the grip built-up using Sugru. The nice thing is it can be removed without a trace if you want to sell the camera or use an add-on grip. There is more information in subsequent posts in the thread.
  9. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Thanks - that might do the trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I liked the ECG2 grip when I had mine
    Very sturdy and greatly improves the feeling of security with larger lenses ( I was using it with 12-40 PRO)
    In the end though I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with an EM1 for larger lenses (especially when I bought the 40-150 PRO) taking into consideration the combined cost of an EM5 ii and the ECG2 grip which is fairly expensive
    Highly recommended though
    • Like Like x 1
  11. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Thanks - I doubt i'll ever get that lens but it is good to know.
  12. TheMOX

TheMOX New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2016
    I purchased a Neewer grip from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Alumin...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
    It was an improvement over no grip but with my thick hands it was not an ideal situation. My fingers would bump into my 12-40 Pro lens and it was a tight fit with others. I ended up with the Olympus grip for the MKii and was much happier with the fit and design. The shutter button on the grip is an added bonus.
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    This is not OT but it is a "little" sidetrack. I did own the original E-M5 and still own the E-P5 and an E-M1 and found that the Olympus landscape grip worked fine with the E-M5 and 12-40 Pro zoom. The E-M1 is the best for using larger lenses due to its' generous grip. The E-P5 problem resolution (at least for me) was to use a Gariz leather Half-Case. It provides just enough thickness to the E-P5s' body to work well with Olympus Pro zooms and the leather provides some flex so my fingers don't get fatigued holding the camera for extended periods. I'm sorry to take a side trip but I think PEN owners might look at leather half-cases for an easier holding experience with heavy Pro zooms on their PENs'.
  14. deanoise

deanoise New to Mu-43

Mar 13, 2016
    I actually don't mind the ergonomics of the Olympus grip but for the fact of blocking the battery compartment. But the main disappointment is being unable to program the dial and button to do anything but mimic the camera's front dial and shutter. I would LOVE to make that dial an ISO control dial, so the dials on the camera control aperture and SS, and the 3rd one gives you quick access to ISO without having to push a button and go into another mode. This would fit so well with Olympus' existing philosophy. I'd also love to make the button on the grip a video or other function button. Hopefully a firmware update can address this.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Aaron @ WiredPrairie

Aaron @ WiredPrairie New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2016
    I really like having a quick release plate for my tripod, so I bought the Really Right Stuff L Plate and Grip combination.

RRS - L-plate and grip for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

It's not cheap though, but it works really well with their tripod ball head options (in particular their lever release option for the BH-25).

RRS - Heads