1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 II focus peaking on non-native lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by T N Args, Apr 16, 2015.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I put my Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye on and in MF there is no focus peaking. I replace it with the 12-40mm PRO and focus peaking works well. Nothing else was changed.

What am I doing wrong? Obviously focus peaking is intended to work with non-native lenses!

2. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    You need to turn it on manually. You can assign a button for this. As the fisheye has no electronic contacts, the camera doesn't know its on the body and doesn't know it in manual focus mode only.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Aha! I will start digging into The Labyrinth when I have a spare Eon.

I thought turning on MF using the SCP would do it (in fact the camera turned on MF automatically when I mounted the fisheye), but it made no difference this morning i.e. no focus peaking.

4. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    I noticed this with my 7.5mm too, quite frustrating. If focus peaking is activated it should be a given that it should be on when set to manual focus, regardless of what lens is used. I've now turned peaking off, and set the depth of field preview button to activate focus peaking for when I need it, and this works with manual lenses too. I find this actually suits my purposes better, as I can easily disable focus peaking after punching in the magnification/focus assist, where I find the peaking actually interferes more than helps.

5. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Yes. Manual is the way to go.

I use the Voigtlander 25 and use manual button press magnify and another fn for manual peaking.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think it is an issue with lens contacts. Since an adapted lens has no electrical contact with the camera, it doesn't know if you are shooting with no lens or an adapted lens.

You WOULD think that it shouldn't matter, as you can just have it active all the time in MF. Probably one of those weird engineer quirks that Olympus doesn't feel the need to address. I agree though, that it is quite an odd thing.

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    With a real long lens, like my Tokina 300mm, you don't don't want any focus assist happening until you have done some pre-focus to get close. That lens is chipped, so it could signal the camera if MF assist is turned on, but I keep it off.

Anyway, how does the focus peaking work on the EM5 II, relative to magnification mode?

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's fantastic on the 12-40 PRO

9. GWB2

GWB2 New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2016
    Can anyone lay out the steps to set the depth of field preview button to activate focus peaking?

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sure. First you open up the user manual, then you flip to page 66, then you read. ;)

Short version is go into the Gear-C menu, pick Button Functions, pick to reassign the DoF preview button, then reassign it to Peaking. Done. Now when you press that button Peaking turns on. Press it again and peaking turns off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GWB2

GWB2 New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2016

Thanks!!!