E-M5 ii button and dial settings - recommendations

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Apr 7, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Hi, Everyone.

The E-M5 ii is the most customizable camera I have ever owned. I have tried several different configurations for the dials and buttons, but I am having trouble deciding what the most usable setup might be. I realize it will be different for each person, but I might have an easier time deciding if I had some other perspectives. Could you provide a brief listing on how you have set your cameras up? I'm sure other folks would also find some value in this. Thanks.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
  3. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for the link, but his priorities are quite different from mine, so his settings are way different too. I welcome any other comments, especially from those who don't use their E-M5 ii for video.
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Biofos.com has another E-M1 guide with explanations of many settings.

5. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

I think quite a few, me included, are, like you, still trying to find the best combination.

It ain't easy that's for sure.

So far I've assigned AEL to Fn1 but keep 'missing' it with my thumb because it's so close to the viewfinder and I have fingers (and thumbs) like pigs' tits! So may have to change that.
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Shoot with the camera for a while leaving everything as it came from factory. Keep track of things you would like to see differently, the things you do not use and also which factory settings buttons, levers, Fn, etc you don’t think you’ll use.

It will also help you get used to the way a designer thought the controls should work and you may find a control or two that works a whole lot better than you expected.

The things you won’t or don’t think you’ll use, are the first things to change to something you do want. You may eventually get to the point of - do I want this or that capability and you’ll have the shooting experience with the camera to decide on a tradeoff.

This will help

• to minimize the customizations that will have to be reset at some time or another

• eliminate any duplication of capabilities

• eliminate any conflicts of controls (X no longer works because you changed Z not knowing it would affect X)

• minimize the number of customizations so you know what ever button and lever does.
  7. virginiajwolf

virginiajwolf New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2015

I wanted to set back-button focus here too but didn't like the placement/feel of the button. For now, I'm using the depth-of-field field preview button on the front of the camera. Less natural, but it gives me the shutter/exposure separation with one-handed operation.