1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 II and the ISO dial

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by T N Args, Apr 8, 2015.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have a question of my own for E-M5 II owners.

My biggest operational/ergonomic bugbear when using my new M5 II in Japan the last 2 weeks was involving the front dial. When in 2x2 mode 2, the front dial controls ISO by default. That's great, except that on numerous occasions I found that I had accidentally nudged the dial from ISO Auto to the adjacent value, ISO 25,600!! Needless to say, these shots were for most purposes ruined, and completely irreplaceable.

The front dial surrounds the shutter button, and has a very soft click, so it is extremely easy to nudge it one click and not know it. I only noticed when I happened to review shots and saw insane shutter/aperture combos like 1/8000 at f/22. Like I say, this happened numerous times, to the point where I was nervously watching out for it and still it would happen.

It wouldn't matter if the ISO was shifting to an adjacent value like from 200 to 250, but to have Auto next to 25,600 is asking for trouble.

A very easy firmware fix would be to block the dial from selecting 25,600 directly from Auto, or vice versa, and instead, make the user turn the dial 'forwards' up the ISO scale. Pleeasseee, Olympus?

Meantime, I think I need to reassign the front dial when in 2x2 mode 2 to something other than ISO -- something less dangerous. Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    BTW, is there any obvious place to give feedback to Olympus directly?

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I like EC on my front dial, but it's dangerous too.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Separate flash exposure compensation or WB. For flash you'll be in control of everything anyway and it's obvious when it's wrong, for WB it's really obvious when it's wrong.

Isn't EC the default? It's really obvious when you've changed EC though (unless you have live view boost on).

• Like Like x 1
  5. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    It sounds like the dial on the E-M5 II is about the same as the E-M10. I've almost learned to avoid it when handling the camera. Almost

• Like Like x 1
  6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Not nearly as dangerous. Being 1/3 stop out means little. It's only ever one click out -- I have never seen ISO 20,000, which is 2 clicks.

7. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Front dial default is EC for 2x2 mode 1, and ISO for 2x2 mode 2.

8. PowerHawk2015

PowerHawk2015 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    This isn't a firmware issue, but being aware of how you're handling the camera issue.
    I've never up until now have bumped the dials on my M10 to a different setting, because I'd feel it and know straight away if that happened, the detents give it away, had the dials been smooth without detents then I'd understand.
    Plus, when you look through the viewfinder, It would become apparant that something isn't right, if you bumped the dial and the iso went up to 25600, plus the iso is right there in the evf overlay.

9. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014

HEY DUDE. ..
    I was having the similar problem with one of my buttons on PEN E P5. The button which releases the flash is to easily to accidentally push, and flash is bumping out. It happens almost always in the bags, coats, jackets or similar ... Which lead to maybe accidental broke it, or damaged it...
    I was wondering about the solution for this, and I found that would be useful to add some "protection" around it. Some kind of empty circle made of rubber, or some hardener sponge material ( from tool boxes ) . Surround it with this, will be lead to protect it from accidental pushing, but you will be still able to push it with finger very easily...

I believe that some kind of solution can be made to protect EM-5 MK2 dialer... I download one pic and edited it so you can see RED PROTECTION suggest to solve this.

Non of the software ( firmware ) solution will no help you with this, because this button have the main purpose, and disabling it in any way would be sacrifice the usability of the camera.

The solution is really simple, just cut the 3,4 mm fat rubber, ( I don't know how much the dialer is tall on that side, you must measure that to get at least same high) or you can cut something I suggest to you, and stick it. Often this materials have the glue already, and it's not hard remove it later if you want to.

Attached Files:

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Pretty sure it's happening before the camera gets raised to my eye. Taking several shots over a short time, the camera remains turned on, gets lifted up, lowered down, briefly allowed to hang from my neck, pick up again for next volley, etc. I agree I would notice the dial being moved once I had it to my eye and in shooting position.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    HEY DUDE BACK, thanks for your suggestion, very good thinking. It's actually the front dial on my camera, but the same idea would work there, I'll have a look into it. At this point my camera is only 2 weeks old, I'm reluctant to glue things onto it just yet. :bowdown: But if my frustration continues, I can see this happening one day....

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What about putting some kind of elastic tape over the button? It would be take more effort to push when you wanted, but it would also make accidental pushes harder. Tape is less of a commitment than glue.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    youn don't have to worry about the glue, on this materials is the sam glue as on the every other stuff like on the hooks for towels or simlira. Yo just pilled the protection and put it. After some time, when you want to put it away you just pull it, and clean with water...
    It's not hard glue ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's for sharing your experience Args.
    I'm waiting for a EM-5 MK II on the mail tomorrow.
    I will be aware of that issue. I will read the manual and see what is the difference between the 2x2 Mode 1 and Mode 2 and maybe I will stick with Mode 1.
    I prefer to accidentally change the EC (I believe it's the Exposure Compensation) than the ISO. It's something that will be noticed on the viewfinder.
    On my Panasonic bodies sometimes this happens to me.

15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    2x2 Mode 1, front dial => EC, rear dial => Program shift (in P), f-stop (in A), shutter speed (in S).

2x2 Mode 2, front dial => ISO, rear dial => WB.

I was using Mode 2 to play with WB, not really interested in ISO, but occasionally accidentally it got moved, sadly.

I do love the 2x2 system, BTW. So quick and accessible.

I'm tipping you will be pretty happy tomorrow :dance3:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's Args.
    You've saved me from read that topic in the user manual ;)
    I can't wait to try the new camera.
    I've waited for the G7 but looks like it's not going to happen, so I'm going to jump into Olympus boat.

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks Teemu, message sent to Oly.jp

• Like Like x 1
  19. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I would love to see a dedicated exp comp dial like the Sonys and Fuji's.

Mapping ISO button to the wheels is fine as long as there is a click lock like on the Nikon Df, something to be considered

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why not just set the 2x2 dial to change focus settings, or disable it completely?