E-M5 IBIS weirdness

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Aug 18, 2013.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I noticed this IBIS issue a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything about it yet since I need this camera in 3 weeks when I go to Las Vegas. Last time I had issues (sensor broke -> got a new camera) with my E-M5 the Oly repair guys told me it'll take ~3 weeks to get the camera back so I won't risk it.

When I press the shutter button halfway --> IBIS activates and "shifts" the picture a few millimeters to the right. You can clearly see this issue on the video below. I'm guessing something is broken inside the IBIS. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it every time. The video show two "transitioned" focuses and two normal ones. This happens with all lenses so it's not related to the 60mm lens that is used in the video.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Luckily the warranty is still valid and I will send my beloved E-M5 to repairs after I get back home from my trip to the USA.

Also, it seems that the focus is hunting more than before. My 60mm has NEVER had any problems finding focus but yesterday it hunted a couple of times about two seconds before locking (unsuccessfully).

Oh and I almost forgot... A couple of shots got somehow ruined yesterday in a weird way. The pictures looked as the exposure was way too long but looking at the settings it was about 1/200. The lens was the same 60mm. I'm guessing the IBIS did something it shouldn't have. Unfortunately I deleted the pictures already.

<iframe width="720" height="576" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZyvfxezcGAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Let me just add here that I've shot ~9000 pictures with the two E-M5's I've used (the first one had its sensor damaged after <6 months --> got a brand new body). So, I guess I've managed to wreck two bodies in less than 1,5 years. It's good that the warranty is 2 years but I'd still expect these cameras to last longer than a couple of years...

2. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    As a potential Olympus customer, I am getting more and more concerned over quality issues with the OMD. I keep reading about several folks having issues and have to send their cam in for repair...

Thanks for this video, that certainly is alarming.

So now, I have read about (and I know Olympus takes care of the issues, but still...):

-Cracked bezel
    -Viewfinder stops working
    -IBIS problems

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I had the EM5 (sold it to get the EP5) and for some reason I do remember seeing this "shift" effect occasionally. Don't remember under what circumstances but I also thought it was weird. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it did not effect the pictures (even when it happened) so I never checked it out seriously.

4. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Had the same thing happen to my first EM5, last year:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaE0MjOAcI]E-M5 IBIS Lock 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oto3-mkWqU]E-M5 IBIS Lock 2 - YouTube[/ame]

I exchanged it for a new body at the store. Never saw the issue again.

5. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Likely a failing IS system. I had sometimes similar on a Canon IS lens just before the IS crapped out entirely. And it will affect focus same as if you are jerking your camera around while it's trying to focus.

Anyhow it wouldn't be the first time this sort of things happened. Cameras are getting more and more complicated. The more moving parts the more likely for a failure.

6. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I have never seen any camera where people don't have problems (Canon 7D AF [red herring half the time with the problem being the nut lose behind the viewfinder], 5D3 top LCD light leak causing metering error [real issue], high rate of failures of the 70-200s from any manufacturer [go search for the data from lens rental]). Reading online will scare the crap out of you. Bout the only sure thing that will break on the OMD (supposedly fixed for newer copies) is the screen bezel will crack where the center screw goes in. The other stuff are hit and miss.