E-M5 Histogram setting question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by merosen, Jun 4, 2013.

1. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    I've started using the histogram.
    I can see the orange and blue indicators in the viewfinder when reviewing the image.
    When I look thru the viewfinder and adjust the histogram,
    I can see the image brighten or darken.
    How do I set the camera so I can see the orange and blue indicators
    while looking thru the viewfinder before I take the shot? (live indicators)

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Let me see if I have it right. You can see the orange and blue Shadows/Highlights clipping display when you are reviewing your images but you see a histogram while you're taking your shots.

Both are Info displays. In the menu system (Cogs menu) there is an Info Settings menu. That allows you to select what info displays are shown while you're taking photos and also while reviewing them. There are separate sub-menus for both activities so you can have one set of options chosen for one activity and a different set for the other activity.

During either activity if you press the Info button on the camera back you will cycle through the info displays you have selected for that particular activity. If you just press the info button repeatedly while the histogram is displayed you will cycle through the various displays including one in which the Shadows/Highlight clipping indicator gives you the blue and red indications of clipped areas. If you don't see it when cycling through the various displays it will either be because you have that display turned off (turn it on via the menu system) or because there are no clipped shadows or highlight areas at that exposure setting. I either point the camera at a bright area such as the sky to get a red area or a dark area (even try covering the lens with your lens cap) to get a blue area to check that I have that display chosen.

You can not get both the histogram and the Shadows/Highlights indication to display at the same time, it's one or the other, but you can turn all of the other displays off so that pressing the Info button just toggles between those 2 settings if you like.

3. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    Found the answer and am not happy with it
    Highlight/shadow clipping before shooting only
    works on the rear screen.
    If you look thru the viewfinder while live view on (viewing clipping ), no clipping .
    Press the Button on the viewfinder to get out of live view
    no pre shot clipping, only in playback in the finder
    I use the viewfinder almost exclusively. Don't really like holding the camera in front of me.
    Guess it's habit from years of shooting film
    So basically no pre shot clipping in the viewfinder.

4. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    now to retract what I said before,
    Go to gears J- Built-In EVF >info settings> highlight shadow>on
    (of course it was off)
    It becomes on of the views when pressing the info button
    I was in the gears D
    Doh , boy do i feel dumb
    All's well in ***********.

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, I'm using an E-M5 and I use the viewfinder all the time and I rely on Shadow/highlight clipping indications in the viewfinder all the time.

I have noticed that the info display on the screen is sometimes not the same as in the viewfinder. I think they get controlled separately by the Info button. Try cycling through the info screens with the button while looking through the viewfinder. You definitely can get that indication in the viewfinder because I use it all the time.

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also the levels can be adjusted Gears - D - Histogram settings to set the black and white levels