E-M5 Highlight & Shadows missing in Viewer 3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rig Vader, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    When opening E-M5 .orf's in Viewer 3 (1.1), any Highlight and Shadows adjustment made in the camera are disregarded and the Highlights and Shadows tab is grayed out, displaying a "Truepic VII" logo. The E-M5 is "Truepix VI", but obviously has the Highlights and Shadows feature.

Anyone else seeing this?
  2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I saw this for yesterday for the first time using olympus viewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it's quite the same thing. They only added highlights/shadows to OV3 for the E-M1's TP VII implementation - earlier versions of OV3 never had it, so it's not really missing...
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Every Olympus camera since the E-PL2 is capable of customizing the Tone Curves separately for the Highlight and Shadow ranges. (Exposure Compensation Button then Info) This provides somewhat more flexibility than the preset Gradation curves.

The Tone Curve in OV3 is the only functional equivalent of the Trupic VII Highlight and Shadows adjustment available for these earlier cameras.
  5. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I don't think I agree.

You would expect viewer to be able to create a JPG, similar to what the camera would give you, based on the setting used when the image was shot. At it stands, viewer will disregard any Highlights & Shadows setting from the camera (it seems to respect every other camera setting).

Introducing Highlights and Shadows to Viewer, but only enabling it for images captures with a TruePix VII equipped camera, just seems offensive. What is the difference between TP VI and TP VII H&S implementations anyway?