E-M5: High shutter speed = under exposed first frame

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sevventh, May 31, 2012.

1. Sevventh

Sevventh New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    If I am using anything higher than 1/2000 of a second the first frame I shoot is always under exposed by at least 2EV. All other pictures taken, as long as I don't turn off the camera, are fine.

For example I set the camera to Manual, 1/4000, f1.4, ISO 1600, and turn off the camera or let it go to sleep. After turning on or waking up the camera I fire off four frames without changing any settings. The first one is always under exposed or completely black and the other 3 are fine. Can anybody else try this out?
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    No problem here, I tried it with an OM 50mm/1.4.
  3. Sevventh

Sevventh New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thanks for trying. I have come to the conclusion that it is not a lens issue because it happens with manual adapted lenses too.
  4. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Is exposure bracketing turned on?
  5. Sevventh

Sevventh New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Exposure bracketing is not on.
  6. axelpix

axelpix New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    I have the exact same behaviour. First image taken at 1/1000 or faster is underexposed or even completely black. Second one is better or good. All following pictures are fine.

I'm just about returning mine for repair. Hopefully it's not a larger issue. Looks like the first shutter curtain is doeing something crazy.

....and, No, Bracketing is not on. As you see in my screenshot, it's exactly the same exposure settings for both images.
  7. tzargast

tzargast New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    May I know how to turn on the bracketing? Sorry
  8. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Just tried with 1/2000 s. No difference at all between the shots with my camera.
  9. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    Same issue

Hello - I have exactly the same issue, but it occurs a lot, almost every burst I do outside with a wide aperture (1.8-2.8 with 45mm) starts with a completely black shot, or really underexposed...

Thinking about returning the camera under warranty unless its an easy software fix in a 1.2 firmware fix?
  10. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    I have a gut feeling that a lot of the problems with this camera have something to do with the new 5 way IBIS. Just for my curiosity: does this problem occur with IBIS on? Off? Maybe other setting (IS1-2-3)?
  11. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    Here is an example of my issue:

Same thing, burst of a couple of shots, first one either black or really underexposed, with the second one a bit better!

Kees - I'll have a go with the camera in a minute with the stabilisation off and see what happens...
  12. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    So olympus have asked me to send it in - off to the post office today. Hopefully a simple task to replace/repair the shutter...
  13. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    The camera is back...and the problem sadly remains! Going to call Olympus today, bit annoying to have paid £7.50 for postage to get the camera fixed, been without it for 2 weeks, and then it comes back with basically nothing changed!
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    You haven't by some chance enabled exposure bracketing by accident, have you?

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Which metering mode are you using?
  16. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    Hi both,

D@ne it's set to ESP metering.
    DH - no just double checked and all bracketing is off.
  17. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    Here is an example again:

As it's night, sadly its just a picture of a lightbulb but still, gives you an idea of the issue! First 2 shots were a 2 shot burst of the OM-D and the last shot is from an EP-1, with same lens, same aperture and same shutter speed.

As seems to always happen, the first shot from the OM-D is completely black.

18. Chris.T

Chris.T New to Mu-43

Jun 16, 2012
    Just to let you all know, Olympus sent me out a DHL bag, sent it back out to Portugal, and this time they replaced the shutter... and the problem is now gone! 1/4000 shots are possible again :)

Shame it took two attempts of sending the camera away to get it fixed, but hey, all's well that ends well....
  19. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Interesting, I've had the same problem. Going to contact Olympus first thing tomorrow.
  20. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    I had almost the same thing happen but it was not just the first shot, it was almost every shot I took. One that made me frustrated the most was trying to shoot a white water lily. No matter how I metered or what setting I used the images came out black or very dark. I thought it was me! I tried shooting other things with 1/1600 or higher and it kept happening. I called olympus and they couldn't say anything was wrong. I tried explaining it to them and they just didn't get it. Luckily it was within the first 30 days and adorama exchanged it for me. The new one it never happens with. Of course the old OMD the 25 never chattered and the new one it does, but hey I'd rather have a chattering lens and a camera that actually works like it's supposed to.