E-M5: Have you canceled with the big name stores and purchased elsewhere/local?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by recasper, Apr 23, 2012.

1. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    I'm just curious how many people snatched up the EM-5 at a small shop (or elsewhere) and canceled their orders with the giant retail companies such as Amazon, B&H, Adorama etc...?

I've been seeing it a lot and just did so myself, so I thought we could get a projection on how much the pre-order list (while seemingly not being shipped yet) has shrunk.

EDIT: I changed the Thread title for more clarity...
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    If I were one of the big boys (BH, Adorama, Amazon), I'd be peeved at Olympus for not supplying me with more OMD's to at least fulfill the pre-orders! It's commendable that Olympus is supporting the little guys, but ultimately, it's the big boys that really sell mass quantities to make Olympus some profit.

Ironically, the local shop here is debating whether or not to even continue to carry Olympus. They still have half a dozen EP2's and one EPL2 in stock, if anyone is interested!
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I went the local camera store route when I heard the big guys won't be shipping some of their OM-D orders until mid-late May.

Today on the phone B&H and Adorama couldn't even tell me which kit configuration would be available the soonest.

I would have preferred ordering from the big guys to avoid in state sales tax and shipping, plus I prefer their no hassel return policies if a camera has a manufacturing defect.
  4. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    You ain't lying... If I were the product manager, I would be calling every hour on the hour. It's abysmal how this has played out for the large stores.

Depending on the store, even some small stores will be tax free when ordered out of state. I ordered from Glazer's in Seattle (I'm in Chicago) and got it Tax Free... Two day shipping was about $25.
  5. ballhog

ballhog New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2012
    Yeah, its's odd. Big boys all say pre-order. I pre-ordered -wink -wink, mine yesterday(Sunday) direct from Olympus, I called today just to check on status and it'll be at my door Wednesday. A little odd, yeah.
    My thought going direct to Olympus is that they make more profit selling direct and would fill those orders first. Same goes for the small camera shops, they are only ordering 5, how much of a discount you think Olympus would give them compared to what Amazon will order. I think for the first few weeks thats what they are going todo. Same as them trying to push the kits, before the bodies, higher margin.
    Just a guess, but hey more power to them to turn a profit. It could also be marketing, or maybe not wanting to flood the market if something maybe wrong, only releasing a limited few keeps up demand and is also easier to control any types of issues that may come up after turning on the manufacturing faucet. I highly doubt it, its just a wild guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I ordered a silver body only from Adorama on 2/17/12 and added the 300R Flash once the rebates were announced. I live in a suburb just outside of Seattle and I actually stopped by Glazer's over the weekend and they did have the OM-D black body (w/12-50mm or 14-42mm kit). I was so tempted to buy it there on the spot even though I didn't want black, don't really want any of those lenses, and taxes are also pretty high here in WA state (9.5%).

I decided to wait it out to see if Adorama will come through anytime soon with the silver body order. Hopefully I get it before Memorial Day for my vacation down the Oregon coast. If I can find a Silver OM-D sooner at a "smaller" Camera store from out of state so I don't have to pay taxes, then I'll cancel my pre-order. Can anyone help me locate a Silver OM-D in stock? I'll even take either kit configuration if I can avoid paying sales tax.
  7. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Seems like the Silvers are the most coveted, yet narrowest offering. It's funny you stopped by the very store I purchased from. It goes to show how small the world has become. lol... Oh, and yeah taxes are awful here as well (Chicago - ~10%) Its absurd... But it is what it is. I would have bought local, but no one in this big arse town offers new Oly product. Baffling... simply baffling.

I do believe they are getting silvers in on Friday. Call them up and see if they will hold one for you. I couldn't hold out myself because of a recent move and I wanted to get in some street shooting before I depart this urban street photog paradise.
  8. SadSummerSea

SadSummerSea Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I cancelled and settled for same day black 12-50mm. No regrets considering we have a horse in the Derby in 2 weeks.
  9. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Pre-ordered from Amazon on Feb. 7th, cancelled on the 9th & went with my local guys. The local guys had it before pretty much everyone in the U.S. I'm sure I'd still be waiting with Amazon.
  10. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    That was my thoughts... Sometimes schedule dictates more than our desires. I'll probably end up skinning it out anyway. So equally regret free. Plus I ended up getting the lens when before I regret not pre-ordering a kit.
  11. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I cancelled a silver body only order with Amazon and purchased a silver 12-50 kit instead. No regrets.
  12. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I pre-ordered with B&H (black w/ 12–50) a few days after the camera was announced and only thought to try calling a local shop (Showcase Camera in Atlanta) on Friday. Turns out that I could have gotten one had I tried earlier in the week. I'm now first on their waiting list, and they're expecting a shipment this week, so they'll likely beat out B&H and get my long green.

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do most of my purchases locally and value what most brick-n-mortar stores have to offer (some more than others). Most "know" me and one of the local stores actually got one in (without pre-order) before I was called up by any of the major outlets. They had remembered that I was interested and put 1 of 2 aside. I came very close to turning them down as some very expensive and unexpected expenses came up (car died) but I couldn't resist.

Went right over and picked up a Silver one with the 12-50 and flash. I huge upgrade from my E-PL1 (which I am going to keep too)
  14. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    How did order through Olympus? I can't find that option on their site.
  15. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Not from Amazon, though, correct?
  16. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    This link with take you to the US order site for the "E-M5"
  17. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sent an email to B&H customer service to cancel my preorder. I have decided to stick with my E-PM1.
  18. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    On a whim I called a local store I've bought my old D90 at, and another lens. They had 1, was going to be sold on amazon, but i got to it before they listed it. Black 12-50 kit. I had pre-ordered silver from B&H, but I was sick of being without a camera.
  19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    damn, did you get a kit or the body only? I was tempted to do this last week... but keep holding out
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I can hear the frustration on people's voices (or words). Olympus is sure driving lots of people crazy with the anticipation. Seems like it's harder to find an OMD nowadays than a 35mm Summilux FLE.