1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Grip problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rockinggoose, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

The rubber coating on my HLD-6 grip is beginning to come lose, it seems that the adhesive has softened. Whether this is due to the hot weather or my sweaty fingers I am not sure. As I received this free as part of the initial sale promotion I wonder if it is covered by the warranty (2 years UK) or not. If so would it be from the original E-M5 delivery date from SRS or the date I received the grip which was several months later? I doubt that SRS would assist in this as the grip came direct from Olympus UK. Has any one else experienced this or any other problem with the HLD-6 offered free with original promotion and if so how was it settled. Alternately if I decide to re-glue it myself has anyone any recommendation for the adhesive?

Thanks

David

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    David - call Olympus themselves. If you don't like the answer, you can always ask Ian on e-group to take it up on your behalf - he's quite helpful with things like that.... I wouldn't attempt it myself (not yet anyway).

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Oh come on please... bit of rubber.... superglue.... grip.... If you are really worried about getting superglue on your fingers and sticking them together... wear gloves.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hi David, I just responded to your same post on the 4/3 forum!

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I seem to remember the rubber on my OM motor drive grip started to peel back in the early eighties. One of the easiest things to fix yourself with superglue (cyanoacrelate) as robbie mentioned. Rubber and superglue are made for each other. (and skin!) Once you've tried it, you'll know what we are talking about.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But if you (Rockinggoose) do use that glue, make sure it is only under the rubber because it will find your fingers very easily & also leave unsightly smears etc. on the plastic surrounding the rubber. A rather obvious tell-tale of self repair if not done very carefully. Be very sparing & careful with the glue & it should work well or I suggest getting Olympus to fix it.

7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes the motor drive is still stuck to my hand all these years later! But I'm used to it now.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:doh: :biglaugh:

9. Rockinggoose

Super glue is not very helpful in this situation as there are screws underneath the rubber which may need to be accessed if any servicing is required. The original adhesive was double sided tape so I have ordered some extra strong tape to use on it, I'll let you know the outcome.

David

10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Don't use superglue, its too brittle and makes a mess, when the rubber grip came loose on my Nikon d200, i tried it and failed. the rubber grips are stuck on with double sided tape, I bought mine from Nikon ( about 20 quid), was simple to do, tape was already applied, just had to peel off strips to expose the adhesive and put in place. if warranty covers it, all well and good but if not , not the end of the world

11. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    I wouldn't bother with superglue.

If your product is under a warranty, you shouldn't have to fix it yourself... unless Olympus starts telling you its customer induced damage (CID) and refuses to take ownership of the issue.

Also, if you use the wrong type of superglue, you might end up with the rubber deteriorating, instead of adhering back to the grip.

12. Rockinggoose

I haven't received it yet so we will have to see how it works but mine was only £1.49!

David