E-M5 grip on a E-P5?

DeoreDX

Mu-43 Veteran
E-M5 grip on a E-P5? [update]

No, not the Factory Olympus one :) Out of curiosity I put my UNX-9120 aftermarket grip from my E-M5 on my E-P5. The fit, while not perfect is actually quite usable. I think if I could remove some material from it, it would work quite well. But, the UNX grip is machined aluminum and not something I would want to try to DiY hack up. A polymer JB grip on the other hand, seems like it would be easy to modify so the grip would fit more flush and have a cheap usable grip. I'm surprised no one has tried it yet. I unscrewed the grip portion of my UNX grip to get an idea about how much material would need to be removed from the JB grip. Probably about 1/8". I wonder if I can make a new grip part to screw into my UNX grip and just screw it into the grip base I already have?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DeoreDX

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks like it fits good enough.
If you're into DIY, here is my take on E-P5 grip - may be it will give you some ideas..
I wonder if I can use your idea to mold a grip I can screw onto my bottom plate. I like the extra height the little bottom plate gives me. Makes a lot of difference getting the pinky on the camera.

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wonder if I can use your idea to mold a grip I can screw onto my bottom plate. I like the extra height the little bottom plate gives me. Makes a lot of difference getting the pinky on the camera.
I think you can do it. Mold it around two coupling nuts.

DeoreDX

Mu-43 Veteran
Fashioned my own wood grip so I can install the grip and have full battery door access. After hours of cutting sanding grinding I had it fashioned absolutly perfectly. Then when I went to drill the screw holes I must have slipped on one because the missaligned holes put the grip every so slightly crooked on the bottom plate. Now I have to decide if my perfectionist OCD can live with it or spend another hour and a half making another one. I also need to decide if I want to paint it black or stain it.

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good prototype! You should be drilling holes first, though :)
If you need small piece of nice grainy wood you can get one from Marshalls store - they always have some exotic cutting/serving boards and bowls for cheap.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom