1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 grip on a E-P5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DeoreDX, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    E-M5 grip on a E-P5? [update]

No, not the Factory Olympus one :) Out of curiosity I put my UNX-9120 aftermarket grip from my E-M5 on my E-P5. The fit, while not perfect is actually quite usable. I think if I could remove some material from it, it would work quite well. But, the UNX grip is machined aluminum and not something I would want to try to DiY hack up. A polymer JB grip on the other hand, seems like it would be easy to modify so the grip would fit more flush and have a cheap usable grip. I'm surprised no one has tried it yet. I unscrewed the grip portion of my UNX grip to get an idea about how much material would need to be removed from the JB grip. Probably about 1/8". I wonder if I can make a new grip part to screw into my UNX grip and just screw it into the grip base I already have?

P8120466.JPG

P8120459.JPG

P8120460.JPG

P8120461.JPG

P8120462.JPG

P8120463.JPG

P8120464.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Looks like it fits good enough.
    If you're into DIY, here is my take on E-P5 grip - may be it will give you some ideas..

• Like Like x 2
  3. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I wonder if I can use your idea to mold a grip I can screw onto my bottom plate. I like the extra height the little bottom plate gives me. Makes a lot of difference getting the pinky on the camera.

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I think you can do it. Mold it around two coupling nuts.

5. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Fashioned my own wood grip so I can install the grip and have full battery door access. After hours of cutting sanding grinding I had it fashioned absolutly perfectly. Then when I went to drill the screw holes I must have slipped on one because the missaligned holes put the grip every so slightly crooked on the bottom plate. Now I have to decide if my perfectionist OCD can live with it or spend another hour and a half making another one. I also need to decide if I want to paint it black or stain it.

P8150476.JPG

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Good prototype! You should be drilling holes first, though :)
    If you need small piece of nice grainy wood you can get one from Marshalls store - they always have some exotic cutting/serving boards and bowls for cheap.