1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5...Full-time AF.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Menue>gears>AF/MF>Full-time AF>On/Off.

It appears that this feature only works in ART, SCN and iAUTO modes, I cannot find it mentioned anywhere.

2. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    So this is to force the camera into always focusing, even when the shutter release isn't pressed I think - weird that it's not appearing to work. I'll test on mine later on with the same lens to see if I can get it working.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Full-time AF
    The full-time AF keeps the image focused even when the release button is not pressed. As this allows the camera to be in permanently focus, autofocusing can be obtained by simply pointing the camera to the subject in a shorter period than activating the S-AF by half-press of the shutter release button.

Can't see any reason why that wouldn't work in other modes, though it seems like it's particularly useful for video. How are you determining it's only working in iAuto, Art, and Scn modes?

4. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I think that Full-time AF would be useful for video and would eliminate the need to continually tap the shutter button to refocus. For videos with moving subjects, I can see using this mode with AF-C-Tracking to maintain focus. I will experiment with this configuration.

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    The NEX-7 does this and there was no way to turn it off. This was one of the reasons I returned that camera, I hated it focusing by itself all the time.

6. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Mine works fine in aperture,shutter and manual mode using your menu path.I don't use it though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    It should work in all modes (mine does). Basically Continuous Autofocus, but without having to hold the shutter button down.

(Briefly) described on pg. 86 of the manual.

8. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Same here, although I shut it off. Drives me crazy.

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    And wastes battery.

10. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    Full Time AF - Response from Olympus

I sent a question to Olympus support asking about how full time AF works and what is situations it intended for. Below is their response...

Thank you for contacting Olympus with your inquiry.

The full time auto-focus setting behaves like the C-AF setting, constantly focusing, and refocusing when the focus is lost in order to get focus again. This behavior could be compared to a camcorder, which performs in a similar fashion. You could conceivably use it in a situation like a school play or taking pictures of the children at a family event. In such situations their movements can be unpredictable, and so having the camera already locked onto your subject would be to your advantage.

The only negative aspect of this setting is that it will use power every time is focuses, so your battery life could potentially diminish faster than it would otherwise by using this setting. Normally focusing only begins once you press the shutter button down half-way, etc.

By default this auto-focus feature will be available during video shooting unless you set it otherwise.

"Can this mode mode in conjunction with AF-C-Tr (Tracking)?"
    Yes, think of it this way: The Full time AF is constantly focusing until you press the shutter button down half-way in preparation to take a picture. Once you do that, your chosen focus mode (such as C-AF+TR) is now being used. If you release the button, the camera will return to full-time auto focusing.

• Like Like x 2
  11. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    I just checked, it works on my A mode.

12. mrcl

mrcl New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2013
    Just figured out that full-time AF works only if the framerate of the EVF is set to "normal".
    Marcel

13. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Wish I read this before I fiddled around with all my AF settings lol