E-m5 focusing suggestions in video mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Henry, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    Hello!

Knowing that, in video mode, the E-m5 lacks of the zoom and touch focus implemented on the E-p5 and later models of Olympus. What is your preferred and fast way to nail focus while in video mode?

I am using the E-m5 with the Olympus 45mm. I tried to use the 200% zoom but it uses the AEL button which is important. So, I switch between Aperture priority, zoom, nail focus and then switch back to video mode and shoot. What is your method?

(I was am thinking of switching to an E-p5 as I prefer the Pen but I got used to the EVF for specially for stills, and I cannot afford any of the newer models)

Thanks in advance for the replies,
    Henry

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I either manual focus or use the AF-S mode to focus, then roll! :D 

3. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    I also manual focus but it not so efficient without a proper zoom function like for stills. Would a E-p5 solve this problem (having a zoom function or focus peaking)?

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The zoom function can reassigned to another button -- at least in still shooting. I almost never shoot video, so I may be misleading you, but it's worth a try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.