1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-m5 focus issues or glitch happening ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Apr 1, 2013.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OK had a strange issue last two weddings this Fri and Sat
    I mostly use the 12-35 panny on it so this is what I noticed it happening with

Would half press the shutter and nothing no green box no focusing about 3 seconds in turned off turned back on came back OK but happened again

Next time I waited took about 5 seconds to clear and focus ? Also seemed like the IBIS kinda jumped when the focus box became green ? Hard to describe but happened about 3-4 times both nights
    Argghhhhhhhh

So searched did not find anything ?
    Or is this a glitch that happens but could not fnd the thread ?
    Anyone have this happen ?

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've used the same combo without issue- thus far. Seems like the next troubleshooting step would be to see if you can replicate the issue on the Om-D with another lens.

3. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Sounds like there could be an issue with the lens communicating with the body. I have experienced similar issues with my new OM-D which I detail in this thread here. Basically it seems to lock up.

Does this issue happen with any other lens?

4. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    was going to clean my contacts :) used to do that once in a while with my other gear
    also on latest firmware :)

not sure about other lens yet got another wedding this week so will try to think about it more when it happens if it happens ?

might stick the 75 on this mid week and try to shoot a ton with it and the 12-35 shoot till it happens

basically I just shoot with the 12-35 and the 75 and put the 60 on for some detail shots

not so fun when it happens at a paying gig though ! kinda breaks your stride and makes a bit of a internal OH NO !!! :) hahahaha

5. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    put my 60 macro on and was going to shoot some flowers in our yard quickly and did not allow to focus or could not see the green focus square ? so its a body thing ?

hmmmmmmm

6. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Hi, still following your thread with interest.

This sounds like the same situation that I'm in. I've had to return my Sigma lens to the shop I bought it from, which is going to take a few days. I don't have any other lenses to test with. They are going to test the lens on their in-house body to see if it works. Judging from what you have said, they might test it without problems on their body.

What do you have to do to get it working? Remove and re-attach the lens? Switch the camera on and off?

What about firmware, what version are you running?

7. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    latest firmware
    and either switch on and off the camera
    yesterday tried taking on and off the lens and that worked

also waited and it went away after about 5 seconds or so ?

have to shoot Fri !! which is making me a bit nervous
    going to clean the contacts again and pray it does not happen but will report back

sadly my faith is blown could not imagine if this happened at the first kiss or something !!!! I can grab the other camera quick enough but still

8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Might have to send it in :(
    Happened multiple times last night with the 75 the 12-35 and the macro !
    Arghhhhhh

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    bummer. Not good.

Gordon