1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Focus Box

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Aug 29, 2013.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I want my focus box on my E-M5 to be on longer and in a smaller size. I've read two different descriptions on different forums and My E-M5 is not exactly working as they describe. Setting the FN-2 button to magnify in the customization menu doesn't seem to work. I'm in "A" mode and I'm half pressing the shutter button but no matter what functions I try that box only pops up for a second and is gone! Could anyone walk this simple minded old man through a few steps that would give me this option. Maybe hearing the instructions from someone new would help me to understand better what I'm doing wrong. :confused:
    Thanks for all advice!
    Bobby

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Same problem here. Set to fn1 and/or fn2 to magnify. I press either in P and nothing happens. :confused:

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I think there's an additonal option to stay in magnified mode with half shutter presses. this lets you press fn2 once to see the box and again to magnify. shutter press to focus. ok to clear the box

4. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Try in Custom menu-> Release-> set Half Way RIs With IS = ON. This should activate image stabilisation in magnified view on half press of the shutter.

I have it setup like this for manual focus and autofocus (AF mode set to "S-AF + MF", Fn2= "MF assist") and it works. Not sure if this is going to work with S-AF only and Fn2= Magnify. Worth trying though.

Cheers

5. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
  6. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013
    The problem with this method is it gets reset to normal size if camera is switched off. So you need to set it everytime.

E-P5, OTOH, can be set to small focus box in menu & stays small forever, all 35 of them. I believe this will be inherited by E-M1.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's a downside, but us E-M5 owners don't have a choice.

As to the OP, what happens when you hit Fn2 twice (assuming fn2 is your magnify button)? You should go into magnify mode where you're fully zoomed in on the magnification. Is this happening? If not, you may not have the right function mapped to fn2, or something is wrong w/ the camera.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On my E-M5 I use the touch screen to select the focus position & size & it always remembers that size when in that mode of focussing.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I think he means if you set it to 14x magnification (to get the tiny focus point), the next time you turn on the E-M5, you are out of magnify mode, and thus, using the normal focus selection boxes.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's true, but as soon as I touch the screen for the focus spot it is at the magnification I last used it at, however, it is annoying that other screen functions are no longer there (visibly) when using the magnification function, such as level meter etc.. If the E-P5 & E-M1 get around that with selectable small focus boxes, then it would be quite useful.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    indeed. still one extra step =) But the loss of control is also another annoying aspect. I lose my directional button custom mapping (I have one set to ISO, the other to drive)