E-M5 firmware wishlist

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Now that Olympus has given the E-M5 a much needed update to allow for small AF points, I'm hoping they've got a few other additions prepared as well. The following suggestions deal with things that I find particularly frustrating with the E-M5.

1. EVF implementation and menu/playback. If you want to look at the camera's menus or play an image back in the EVF, you have to press the EVF button first. Every. Single. Time.
  2. Playback delay. If you press the 'play' button immediately after taking a shot, the camera ignores it. Just doesn't seem to register for some reason.
  3. Full-sized image previews. The ORFs only include a 3200x2400 (8MP) JPEG preview. They should include a full-sized (4608x3456) preview. Then you wouldn't have to shoot RAW+JPEG to get full quality when magnifying in playback mode.
  4. Bracketing as a first-class drive mode. Right now enabling/disabling bracketing must be done from the menus. Add it as a drive mode (alongside single shot, self-timer, anti-shock etc.) and it can be enabled/disabled from the SCP.
  5. Mysets on the mode dial. Ability to reprogram ART or iAuto settings on the mode dial to switch to given Myset.
  6. Electronic first curtain shutter. Perhaps not possible, but anything to limit shutter shock would be a welcome addition.

Any thoughts?

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd like the electronic first curtain shutter, that would be a great addition.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I agree with all these Dara, but if I had to choose only one, it would be your number 5 - the ability to assign Mysets. I'd also add:

- More than one viewfinder mode visible at a time (so shadow/highlight plus level for example)

- Viewfinder info that rotates to to the bottom of the screen in portrait mode (a la Fuji XT1)

- Lens IS priority

cmpatti

Mu-43 Veteran
Good list. Top of my wishlist are:

1. Bracketing as a drive mode (could there be a bracketing + high speed mode?)
2. Mysets on mode dial
3. Multiple viewing modes (blinkies + level is just what I need)

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I'd like that - wonder if it's possible with only firmware, though?

I think so. The data is being communicated to all bodies, it's just that the E-M5 and earlier Olympus m4/3 bodies ignore the information. But there's no physical difference in the mount, so all the pieces are there.

This is a good point. Yes - there definitely needs to be a better way to customize the viewing mode and playback mode so that different tools can be combined. I never use the level for example because the histogram is more important, which results in an embarrassing number of skewed horizons.

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
[*]Bracketing as a first-class drive mode. Right now enabling/disabling bracketing must be done from the menus. Add it as a drive mode (alongside single shot, self-timer, anti-shock etc.) and it can be enabled/disabled from the SCP.
[/LIST]

I would add also like other manufacturer, press once on the shutter and the whole sequence is taken, so you don't have to press seven times if you activate 7 shots bracketing.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro

1. Bracketing as a drive mode (could there be a bracketing + high speed mode?)
2. Mysets on mode dial

I'd actually really like a complete reconfiguration of the level, more like Sony or Panasonic. I find the Oly implementation highly counter-intuitive, but I may be part of a spatially-challenged minority. :redface:

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
good list! I agree with it all.

letsgofishing

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Kaplan
1. On my EM5, I get an 8sec playback of the image just shot complete with highlight/shadow warnings....
2. No problem - see above
3. That would be great
4. DEFINITELY - very frustrating with the current setup
5. As above
6. Would also be helpful...

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Most of my cameras are like this, including my two Fujis. I suspect it's something to do with the camera buffer speed. When I had the G6 it was lightening fast and there wasn't a delay when accessing buttons after taking a shot.

Now that Olympus has given the E-M5 a much needed update to allow for small AF points, I'm hoping they've got a few other additions prepared as well. The following suggestions deal with things that I find particularly frustrating with the E-M5.

1. Playback delay. If you press the 'play' button immediately after taking a shot, the camera ignores it. Just doesn't seem to register for some reason.

Any thoughts?

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
Having been away from m43 for a little while, I'm curious - does Olympus tend to add features in firmware updates? I've been spoiled by Fuji and their willingness to continually improve their cameras through firmware rather than just fix bugs. Are the m43 manufacturers coming around to do the same?

D

Deleted member 20897

I'd also like them to add focus peaking.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Having been away from m43 for a little while, I'm curious - does Olympus tend to add features in firmware updates? I've been spoiled by Fuji and their willingness to continually improve their cameras through firmware rather than just fix bugs. Are the m43 manufacturers coming around to do the same?

We've only had a few instances so far and they're minor additions. Here are the OM-D ones: E-M5 got small focus boxes and ISO 100 (extension), E-M1 got electronic first curtain shutter.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom