E-M5 firmware wishlist

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Now that Olympus has given the E-M5 a much needed update to allow for small AF points, I'm hoping they've got a few other additions prepared as well. The following suggestions deal with things that I find particularly frustrating with the E-M5.

1. EVF implementation and menu/playback. If you want to look at the camera's menus or play an image back in the EVF, you have to press the EVF button first. Every. Single. Time.
    2. Playback delay. If you press the 'play' button immediately after taking a shot, the camera ignores it. Just doesn't seem to register for some reason.
    3. Full-sized image previews. The ORFs only include a 3200x2400 (8MP) JPEG preview. They should include a full-sized (4608x3456) preview. Then you wouldn't have to shoot RAW+JPEG to get full quality when magnifying in playback mode.
    4. Bracketing as a first-class drive mode. Right now enabling/disabling bracketing must be done from the menus. Add it as a drive mode (alongside single shot, self-timer, anti-shock etc.) and it can be enabled/disabled from the SCP.
    5. Mysets on the mode dial. Ability to reprogram ART or iAuto settings on the mode dial to switch to given Myset.
    6. Electronic first curtain shutter. Perhaps not possible, but anything to limit shutter shock would be a welcome addition.

Any thoughts?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'd like the electronic first curtain shutter, that would be a great addition.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree with all these Dara, but if I had to choose only one, it would be your number 5 - the ability to assign Mysets. I'd also add:

- More than one viewfinder mode visible at a time (so shadow/highlight plus level for example)

- Viewfinder info that rotates to to the bottom of the screen in portrait mode (a la Fuji XT1)

- Lens IS priority
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd like that - wonder if it's possible with only firmware, though?
  5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Good list. Top of my wishlist are:

1. Bracketing as a drive mode (could there be a bracketing + high speed mode?)
    2. Mysets on mode dial
    3. Multiple viewing modes (blinkies + level is just what I need)
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I think so. The data is being communicated to all bodies, it's just that the E-M5 and earlier Olympus m4/3 bodies ignore the information. But there's no physical difference in the mount, so all the pieces are there.

This is a good point. Yes - there definitely needs to be a better way to customize the viewing mode and playback mode so that different tools can be combined. I never use the level for example because the histogram is more important, which results in an embarrassing number of skewed horizons.
  7. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    I would add also like other manufacturer, press once on the shutter and the whole sequence is taken, so you don't have to press seven times if you activate 7 shots bracketing.
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd actually really like a complete reconfiguration of the level, more like Sony or Panasonic. I find the Oly implementation highly counter-intuitive, but I may be part of a spatially-challenged minority. :redface:
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    good list! I agree with it all.
  10. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    (Proper) Focus Peaking
    • Like Like x 1
  11. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    1. On my EM5, I get an 8sec playback of the image just shot complete with highlight/shadow warnings....
    2. No problem - see above
    3. That would be great
    4. DEFINITELY - very frustrating with the current setup
    5. As above
    6. Would also be helpful...
  12. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My E-M5 already does that!
  14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    How about adding the lens profile automatic correct CA & distortion like EM1.
  15. FullyOMD

FullyOMD Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Watford, UK
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  17. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    Most of my cameras are like this, including my two Fujis. I suspect it's something to do with the camera buffer speed. When I had the G6 it was lightening fast and there wasn't a delay when accessing buttons after taking a shot.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Having been away from m43 for a little while, I'm curious - does Olympus tend to add features in firmware updates? I've been spoiled by Fuji and their willingness to continually improve their cameras through firmware rather than just fix bugs. Are the m43 manufacturers coming around to do the same?
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'd also like them to add focus peaking.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
  20. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    We've only had a few instances so far and they're minor additions. Here are the OM-D ones: E-M5 got small focus boxes and ISO 100 (extension), E-M1 got electronic first curtain shutter.
    • Like Like x 1