E-M5 firmware upgrade -- what would you pay?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiro, Sep 24, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I know we all wish Olympus would add minimum size focus box and focus peaking, among other things, to the E-M5 via a firmware update. I think most of us also aren't holding our breath based on Oly's history.

So, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what people would pay, if anything, for a firmware upgrade? Assume it includes the aforementioned peaking and box size, and add in whatever else seems reasonable via firmware and is available on successors to the E-M5.

I'd shell out $50 for an upgrade. While it would kind of suck, when you see what Fuji has done for their owners, it would also help me resist the temptation of dropping many more dollars on a new camera that I don't really need.
  2. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Paying for an upgrade would suck. On the other hand, not having those things (and the tiny focus box is about the only thing I really miss from my DSLR days) sucks even more. If Olympus were to make such features available for a fee, I don't think I'd think twice about it and just pay. To hell with "it should be free" in this case if it makes a camera I love even more lovable, and saves me from GAS!

As to the price, I think 50$ is quite a hefty sum for a firmware update. 10-20$ would be more acceptable to me.
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It depends on the upgrade. I would argue minimum size focus box should have been there in the very beginning. It seems rather ridiculous that it's not given it obviously works with the workaround.

Yes, I'm still bitter about it =P
  4. Bchristensen

Bchristensen New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2013
    I'd gladly pay a 3rd party developer $20-50 for a high quality hack, especially if it provided additional video modes, small target and focus peaking.

I would pay the same for an official Oly update without thinking twice (but would probably feel like it should have been free)
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd be tempted to trump up something in the $10-20 range, but it wouldn't endear me to Oly to have to do so... They should take a leaf out Canon's or Fuji's book and give us a firmware refresh. It'll only make me more likely to recommend them to others and buy from them in future. Its called building a quality brand image...
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I couldn't agree more regarding building a quality brand, but apparently Olympus doesn't view it that way. In some ways I understand, as many customers will run to the latest deal without regard for anything else. That behavior makes it easier for companies to justify simply chasing every dollar.
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Apple (another quality-oriented company) issues free software upgrades (eg IOS) for their iPhones every year, primarily limited by the ability of the older hardware to support newer functions. So we all now have (or can have) IOS 7, back as far as the iPhone 4.

Generally, companies that strive to please their customers do better over the medium term than those that t-off their customers. Charging more than a nominal fee for software upgrades to an expensive camera would fall into the t-off column.
  8. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    What's a minimum size focus box?
  9. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    Not sure it's worth $50, but I'd pay for that upgrade. Not gonna happen, tho. As others have noted, Oly just doesn't do that. Too bad, for all the reasons that have been cited in the thread.
  10. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Good point and I also just saw that the iPhone 5s almost doubled their initial sales of the iPhone 5 in China, the biggest market, so they're doing something right. That being said, if Oly could add the aforementioned features and add better bracketing, better MySet implementation and magically add the 1/8000 shutter speed to the EM5, I'd have no problem paying another $100 and probably get another 2 years out of my camera.
  11. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    We should start a petition for someone to hack the firmware and pledge a bounty for it. I bet it'd get rather large rather quickly.
  12. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    While it sucks to have to pay for that, I'd say 20-30$ would be possible granted it gives access to certain things I miss sometimes. The focus box, focus peaking and 1/8000s shutter speed. Maybe also a fake ISO 100.

It does seem like paying a lot... And it would be if I did not liked my E-M5 already.
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Tough call. I wouldn't be bothered by $25-50 in itself, I just wouldn't want to encourage them to think like this.
  14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'd fork over 20-30 without a second thought. I'd grumble at 50 but I'd do it. Higher than 50 would be tough, because those are features I can't get otherwise but the pricetag seems unfair.

I think I donated $10 to Vitaliy when I was using the GH2. Could've been more generous but at least I gave something.
  15. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The two reasons for me ditching my EM-5 were the size of the focus box and the lack of focus peaking. I now own a G6 and really miss the IBIS on the prime lenses that I use. I don't however miss having to mess around with the zoom focus to get a smaller focus box just to get the correct feature in focus. I often found that the focus would hunt when using the default focus box and this drove me mad. I'd pay £25 for the upgrade and it would temp me back in to the Olympus fold.
  16. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    And that is the main reason why this'll never happen. If Olympus had a choice between you buying a new camera vs shelling out a small amount for an upgrade, I think it's a no-brainer which direction they'd take.

Also, as luck would have it I created a similar thread (with a poll) earlier this year:

Still, I can't imagine this'll ever come to pass.

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think there is a good strategic position that companies can find if they try. Canon recently updated their 7D firmware as owners wondered when the next gen model was coming. Fuji made nice improvements on their X cams, probably keeping some users in the fold and enticing others who were on the fence.

Hard to know what makes sense for Oly given our limited perspective. But I do agree that they are unlikely to change their stance on this.
  18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't have the em5 but Olympus should really issue a focusing peaking update or issue a statement as to why it can't be implemented.

As for the focus box, seems a major issue that also needs to be addressed and should easily be done. I don't see why both aren't issued in a few update ASAP now that en1 is out.

I personally would like to crowd surf funding a firmware hack... :thumbup:

As for the 1/8000... Doubt it. Zero reason for them too and if the one in the em1 is different or qualified for the faster spec no way it can be done.
  19. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I think making the changes discussed would make sense for Oly from a sales point of view to keep the E-M5 fresh... For me the closest competitor to the E-M5 is the GX7, and I'd be comparing these if I was shopping. E-M1 too big and E-P5 costs too much with an awkward EVF.
  20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I would not pay for a firmware upgrade. That only reinforces bad behavior.