E-M5 Firmware Update includes Panasonic 45-175x

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ranger Rick, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Discovered there is an update for this lens in the new firmware update- must be mounted on body. Improves OiS and a few other things (so it says).

Find lack of this type of info in the official material I found online a PITA- had to try update with each my lenses to find if any other had updates (luckily had the 45-75 mounted when I updated body firmware)- they didn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Good to know, as I have both (E-M5, P45-175X), too.
  3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    What version are you referring to? I connected my camera with the 45-175 and it showed nothing newer than lens firmware 1.1 which has been out for a while.
  4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    No, the lens firmware isn't in the camera firmware. The 45-175 firmware has been out for over a year, but to update it on an Olympus camera you must have it mounted to the camera when connected to the Olympus update software. The E-M5 and 45-175 firmware updates are entirely unrelated, this just happened to be the first time you connected your camera to the Olympus updater with the 45-175 attached. If you had done that a long time ago it would have updated the 45-175 back then.

And yes - finding out about and checking for lens updates can be a pain. You can also check the firmware of any lens when attached to the camera and then look up the most recent firmware for the lens on either the Olympus or Panasonic firmware update pages. That way you don't have to go through Olympus's annoying software just to see if there is an update available.

Sounds like all your other lenses are already up to date.

• Like Like x 1