1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 file name/number unintentional reset

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yohan Pamudji, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Usually the format of the file name/number on my E-M5 is P + 1-digit month + 2-digit date + 4-digit sequential number.

So I can end shooting on 6/20/2012 with file number P6200100, then on 6/21/2012 my first shot will be P6210101. That is, it keeps up with the sequence from 0100 to 0101 even when the date changes.

Just now I took my first picture of the day on 6/24/2012 but for some reason it reset to P6240001. For reference my last shot yesterday was P6230477, so my first shot today should have been P6240478 but instead it forgot the sequence and went to 0001.

What did I accidentally do to reset this and how can I avoid this in the future? I did put in a new memory card but it was blank; maybe the new memory card had something to do with it. Also, is there a way to set my numbering back to the right track? I know on my Canon camera it would just take up the next number past the highest numbered file on the memory card, so I could rename a file to 0477 and the next one it took would be named 0478, but I don't think Olympus works that way.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    In the spirit of Stack Overflow, i.e. answering my own question, the solution (as it often is) is in the manual. Page 91 explains the numbering convention. Default is "Reset" which resets the file number for every new card used. I've now changed it to "Auto" so it retains the numbering even when using a new card, which for some baffling reason is no longer the default. I think it was on previous cameras--don't remember having to change this for the E-P1 or E-P3 but I am getting senile so you never know.

• Like Like x 3
  3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Good to know I was looking for this thanks.

4. MichaelRpdx

MichaelRpdx New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2013
    it also resets the numbers when you remove and reinsert the same card. As I just found out when my second set of images from the day overwrote the first when I copied them to disk.