1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Field Test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gakuranman, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Just in case some of you missed it on Dpreview (I know a few of you prefer not to hang out there ;) ), I wrote up my thoughts and impressions of the E-M5. Included are sample photos (tweaked in Lightroom 4), as well as my settings that may be of reference when new users receive their camera.

okazaki-bridge.

It took me quite a while to write up, but I hope you all enjoy reading it. :smile:

Best wishes.

Full writeup here: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Field Test

• Like Like x 21
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I hate you. :mad:

:tongue: Beautiful pictures, great write up, and fantastic blog layout as always. Now you have me rethinking my whole "E-P3 to save some money" approach...

3. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    E-P3 is still a wonderful camera! Like I said in the review, unless you really want that beefed-up sensor, external controls, EVF and improved IBIS, I think you'd be very happy with the E-P3, especially if it means you can get an awesome lens for the price difference :).

4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I hate you too! I hate the fact you already had this beauty long enough to do a write up!

:) Thanks!

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice review Michael!!! Good detail and nice photos! Highly recommended read! If you have more photos, keep posting them!

6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Wonderful photos. Just curious what lens/setting did you use? Do you adjust your picture settings as far as contrast, saturation, etc for JPEGs?

7. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Good question. I used the 25mm, 7-14mm and 40-150mm in most of the shots. Heavy-handed tweaking of the highlights and shadows in Lightroom 4 on some of the Jpegs before re-sizing and outputting. There were a lot of high-contrast scenes, so the shadows were quite dark, but they responded well to being pulled :).

• Like Like x 1
  8. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    fair review!

9. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Nice review. :)

Have you experience lock up while using your panaleica 25mm? or 7-14mm?

10. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the extensive write up, Michael!

Some questions:

1) In the photo at the top of your review the silver looks like it has a plastic texture. I thought the silver parts were magnesium?

2) I'm curious about the scale of the IS noise because those kinds of noises often bug me. Do you have any lenses with IS? I have the Panasonic 14-140, 45/2.8 and have had a number of Canon IS lenses. If you're familiar with any of those, how would you compare the amount of noise the EM5 makes? Or if not, can you relate the amount of noise somehow?

3) Do you notice improved dynamic range even at high ISO compared to the EP3? The EP3 in my experience starts to lose DR significantly around ISO1600, which is also true of my EP1.

Thanks again for the excellent write up. Technical reviews are great, but hands-on use is much more valuable to me.

11. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    No lockups - never heard of the issue before though?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    1) The magnesium is coated with a silver paint. I preferred my E-P3 at first, the but the retro look of the E-M5 has grown on me :).

2) I have the 45 macro lens, and I could never hear the IS working on that. The IBIS on the E-M5 however is audible in low noise environments. I imagine most users will hear it when setting up the camera for the first time at home. In regular shooting, it isn't audible and does not affect video.

3) There is a very noticeable difference in dynamic range between the E-M5 and E-P3. I haven't expressly noticed it at higher ISOs, but then again I have not performed any tests to look for it. However, I noticed it immediately in the amount of blue skies I was getting and more room for highlights and shadows where typically I would have expected them to be blown on my E-P3.

Hope that helps :).

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shoot a lot of action and sports ... I read your report on AF and AF tracking ... have you actually shot any action stuff? If so, can you elaborate on your report.

Gary

14. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I haven't been able to definitively test the camera shooting action or sports using the tracking mode. I did try shooting some ducks swimming around with it and it seemed to lock on quite well, but I was having other issues at that time with the burst mode and IBIS, so I couldn't use the test to really see if tracking worked.

Obviously single shot AF is very fast though, and can grab shots quite well. If I find an opportunity to test it I will update my review :).

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the update ... stay away from ducks, lol.
    G

16. This is what I have wanted to know more than just about anything else on the E-M5; whether you can pull out extra shadow detail without excessive noise and loss of contrast.

17. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I did so successfully in all the Jpegs on my review page :). Still waiting for Lightroom 4 to support E-M5 Raw files to really push them though.

18. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    How was performance of the 40-150 on the new body? Thanks.

19. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I tried using the tracking mode this evening to shoot some badminton, but I didn't get very good results. I guess the motion was too fast for it to keep up. The tracking did follow the subject as they moved, but when I tried burst shooting, the shots weren't sharp, despite shooting at 1/1000s and up.

20. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    No problems at all :).