1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Eyepiece Problem solved

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by misupix, Mar 25, 2013.

1. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    I almost lost my EP-10 twice :mad: Why can't they design a better Eyecap?

After trying several ideas for fixing this, I think I found a working solution and I'd like to share it...

All you need is a bit of electrical Tape :smile:

I've wrapped it around the lower horizontal bar, 2-3 times around is enough.
    original.jpg

Then attach the eyepiece. fold away the LCD and stick the tape down below the viewfinder-housing
    original.jpg

...and tight into the angle between there and the back of the camera (below the LCD).
    [​IMG]

This way the tape is hidden under the LCD and almost invisible
    original.jpg
    my EP-10 hadn't come loose since securing it that way.

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  2. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Neat, great idea. I'll keep this in mind for if I ever have trouble with mine. Thanks!

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Perfect! Thx!

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another thing you can do with a thin strip of electrical tape is to run it in the tracks and that will give you enough friction to keep the eyecup from coming off. This is what I always did with my Olympus DSLRs, and never lost a single E-3 eyecup which were so easy to come off.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Or just keep the bundled flash on the camera.

6. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    Unfortunately that didn't work out with the OM-D.

The small notches that should hold the EP-10 in place are located inside: left and right and they tend to wear out pretty quick.

In my case it took one time accidentally pushing it off when pulling it out of the bag, afterwards it was always coming of much too easy.

7. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    great idea! maybe use black gaffers in lieu of electrical as it won't leave nasty residue.

8. ytreephotography

ytreephotography Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    Yevette
    Thank you so much for this tip. I love love love my e-m5, but the eyepiece problem is so annoying. I use my camera a lot... every day, and the eyepiece protector always come off. You would think with such an awesome camera, they would provide an awesome eyepiece protector too. You have given me hope:th_salute:

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    What in Sam Hill am I doing wrong that my eye piece has never come off and gotten lost?

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks, that's a good work around.

I sometimes end up using a spare cup I had for my old D7000 because it fits TIGHT.

I have lost THREE of the Olympus eyecups so far.

11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You're not taking enough pictures in situations where your camera gets rubbed, squashed, packed in tight with other things and so forth. You have to abuse it a little to fully realize this problem, lol.

12. Mine came off taking the camera out of the box. The lower arm had broken through on the laft side looking forward. I did not have a clue until it was spotted on the floor. Left it off.

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Appreciates it, John. I felt left out for a while there. Yes, the camera spends much of the time on a shelf as an object of my desire. :smile:

14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Mine fell off today as I went through the barrier at London Underground so will try this securing trick tmrw, thanks :)

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great idea - I understand this problem has been fixed on later models at the same time that they fixed the issue with the LCD frame cracking - I hope so as I bot my OMD about 3 weeks ago.

I will remember this tip though just in case!

16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Really Ian? Where did you hear that? I didn't realize that they were still in production (but I guess that makes sense). I'd like to know what the ser/no cutoff is for this change.

17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The Tube, eh! "Mind the gap!" :smile:

18. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Mine is a month old so no they haven't fixed it on later models

19. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Is there an eyecup that fits better? (I shoot left eyed so I bet that's a factor...)

20. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Nope. None that fits better. It's a design flaw... kinda. It really depends on how you're carrying it. The best way to ensure that it doesn't fall off, I found was to to put the flash that came along on it. The flash protrudes over the eyecup, so it blocks it from sliding off.