E-M5 external mic?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AlanU, May 2, 2012.

1. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I have a question regarding external mic's.

I was intending on buying a Sema-1 and using the hotshoe adapter so that I can put a 3rd party 3.5mm external mic (held by a small portable rig)

Does anyone have a good recommendation?? Theres alot of mic's on the market but has anyone handpicked a decent one at a reasonable price?

thanks so much

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You will need the SEMA-1 to use an external mic, but before you spend the extra cash for another mic, be sure to try the ME51S mic that's included in the SEMA-1 kit. It's a very good mic, but it must be isolated away from the camera body or you will pick up noise just from handling the camera. I recently used my Zoom H2 recorder with good results.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/video-using-zoom-h2-mic-pen-cameras-24970/

3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Sammy....WOW!!!

That setup is hardcore for me. I guess its much more powerful in the sense that you have alot more control over a typical video mic.

I'm still exploring the "mic" world for a setup.

thanks for sharing

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There should be a lot of good Rode and Sennheiser shotgun mics available at your local audio/visual retailer, the majority of which are 3.5mm. I don't have any specific recommendations. The $150 entry-level Rode mics are plenty for me!

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Here are a few more mic's that I have tried. I tested these mic's on their own, being plugged directly into the EMA-1, as well as being plugged into the Zoom H2 external mic port, then running the lineout on H2 to the EMA-1.

1. This is the SEMA-1 kit, very good results provided the little mic is away from the camera.

2. This is the Zoom H2 with an Audio-Technica ATR25 stereo mic used as an external mic. This combination is just okay.

3. Again the Audio-Technica ATR25 stereo mic. When used without the H2, gain seems too low.

4. This is an Audio-Technica ATR55 mono shotgun mic with an adapter plug to feed the mono signal into both right & left channels. This mic has has a high and low sensitivity switch. This mic is really good for doing wildlife, birds and distant subjects using a telephoto lens. When used as an external mic on the H2 you can really get some distortion free high gain.

5. This is a pair of Sony F-45 dynamic combined for wide stereo. Forget it, these mic's are total duds when used on their own. When used external mic's with the Zoom H2, they are still rather poor regardless what the gain setting is on the H2.

6. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I have the EM-5 camera and I have purchased the SEMA-1. I was wondering if anyone has found an "easy" way of mounting the SEMA-1 mic to the camera, but extended away from the camera body so as not to pickup the IS hissing sound. I don't want to resort to external (hand-held) boom, but rather a boom that attaches to the camera (maybe to the tripod mount). Any ideas?

7. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I have a quandary... The SEMA-1 already occupies the hot shoe. Therefore, a mic boom cannot be mounted to the EM-5 via the hot shoe. I want to mount the SEMA-1 to the EM-5 so that I can recorder video with high quality sound without the need to use a hand held mic boom or boom mic stand.

8. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
  9. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    What mics you want really depends on the type of sound you are trying to capture. Just like different lenses are designed to capture different kinds of photo, different mics are designed for picking up different kinds of sound. What are you planning to record?