1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 expected in late March

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alans, Feb 15, 2012.

1. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    From a US dealer webinar this morning, the reps said the the cameras should begin shipping in late March. I hope they're right!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Me too! That's a little earlier than the stated "April", but more in line with the normal pre-order timeframe. I remember the E-P1 kit with zoom lens had arrived 2 weeks earlier than expected in my town (too bad I was waiting on the never-to-be-seen pancake kit).

3. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Here's one for you Ned as I think you may have wondered about this.

i asked whether there was an improvement in AF speed with the 43 series of lenses. She said that there would not be:(

The rep said that she shot at figure skating nationals and the focus tracking was exceptional. This I have to see.

I also asked about high ISO vs the E-P3. She said that there was a noticeable improvement as she shot the skating nationals at 3200.

She mentioned that the EVF frame rate was adjustable from 60-120. I forgot to ask when it would be set to a lower speed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I think I saw somewhere (maybe the Pekka Potka preview) that at 60hz the contrast is a bit higher.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yush, I heard the lower frame rate (which is the one currently used on the VF-2) has better color fidelity but the higher frame rate is just for those who require a smoother view, like when tracking fast motion. I assume the 60Hz would still be default.

Thanks for that info, Alan! Very interesting to hear.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps it auto-switches to 120Hz when in C-AF mode. That would make the most sense...

But being able to override it manually would be great too. I haven't taken a look at the manual yet to verify...

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    It is user selectable, go to MENU : GEARS : J : FRAME RATE

• Like Like x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    did she mention with what lens? or if it even matters much?

9. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    The camera will be released in Asia (Japan) around late March. Amazon.co.jp has Mar 30 as the current date to ship.

10. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Here in Japan, the shop rep told me that the camera will be available late March.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I seem to remember Japan and HK getting the E-P3 about 4 weeks before the US.

12. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I got my E-P3 through pre-order here in Japan and managed to get my field test up 3 weeks later before many people overseas had their camera. So yes, unfortunately, that may be the case...

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Any plans to visit the US right after it launches in Japan? How large is your suitcase? :2thumbs:

14. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Get m43 users to fund me an all-included return flight and I'll bring a suitcase full :p.

15. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hmm I might be going on a trip to Japan in late March. I wonder if the E-M5 will be available at that time.

Then again, given the poor exchange rate of the dollar to yen, probably not a good idea to contemplate it. :wink: