E-M5 EVF vs. G1, G2 or G5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by simonz, Mar 14, 2014.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Now that prices for the Olympus E-PM5 are coming down to earth I'm considering a purchase as I like the Olympus jpg colors better than my Panasonic cameras. The main criteria for me is the quality of the EVF. I have Panasonic G2 and G5 cameras and very satisfied with their EVF's. So that is my baseline for what I'm hoping for the E-M5 EVF. Also, I have a PM2 with the VF-4 which is stunning, but the PM2 form factor is too small and lacks a grip.

Has anyone had experiences with both the Olympus E-PM5 and the Panasonic G1, G2 or G5 cameras, who could give me an idea of how the EVFs compare?

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not sure what camera you are thinking of, but Olympus is on the E-PM2. E-P5 or EM5?

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think he means E-M5 since he already has the VF-4 for the Pens.

4. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Sorry, I got mixed up with the Olympus model numbers. It is the E-M5 that I am considering.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're fairly comparable in terms of size and the level of detail shown. The VF-4 however is larger and more detailed than any of those.

6. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I doubt that you will be disappointed with the E M5 viewfinder - certainly one of the best. I also find it less of a strain on the eyes than any other I have tried (which inc Panasonic G1 G3 and Fuji XE1) although this is a very personal response to evfs.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have had the G2 and the EM5 and I like the M5's EVF much better. I've not handled either the VF4 or the G5 so I can't compare to those.

8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    If the EVF on EM5 doesn't work for you, you can use the VF4 on it.:biggrin:

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, I'd hate to go back to Em5 finder after experiencing the much larger Vf4.

10. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for the comments. Everyone seems quite happy with the E-M5 EVF, so I pushed the "Buy" button and have a black E-M5 body on the way. Took advantage of the $679 E-M5 deal on Amazon. I'll definitely keep the PM2 with VF-4 as a backup. Not sure what to do with the G2 and G5. I do like the G5 over the G2 because of it's improved IQ and nice grip. Maybe I'll send off the G2 for an IR conversion.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The VF4 (same finder that's in the E-M1) is a cut above the E-M5. Also, if you don't mind the external finder, and don't need weather sealing, the E-P5 is probably the better body (2x2 interface, 1/8000 of a second, wifi).

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Is the EM5/10 VF the same thing as the VF2?

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In terms of resolution and size, yes. There are some differences in the eye-cup and possibly in the refresh rate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Supposedly, the innards are the same but the externally attached one looks like the image is bigger. Maybe the opening is bigger, I am not sure. Same for the Vf4 vs Em1 . The externally attached one looks bigger.

15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks guys (and sorry for the slight threadjack). I'm happy with the quality of the VF2 quality but am getting less so about having the add-on attached all the time. Even if it isn't the best one out there, I've never experienced the best . . . so as long as I don't know what I'm missing it sounds like I'll be fine with the finders on one of the "lesser" OM-Ds. :)