1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Electronic Zoom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Oct 13, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't recall the proper name for this function, but I assigned it to my fn2 button to aid in manually focusing. What I learned recently is that the function only affects the jpg image (I record both ORF files and Fine JPG files). So if I accidentally leave the image zoomed (which I have done), I can resort to the ORF to get the fill image.

2. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you like the digital teleconverter better than the Magnify function for manually focussing? I find that once the Magnify tool is set (center focus, 7x magnification) it is very quick and easy to use for manually focussing. I'm curious to hear your experience

Cheers!

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Rob,
    I guess I don't enough about the camera yet. I thought the two things you mentioned were the same thing (hence not knowing the correct nomenclature)! Can you set the function button to turn on the x7 mag with one press as I can with the dig TC?

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. You can also change the amount of magnification, from 5x up to 14x.

Look at Gears menu -> B -> Button Function. You can set Fn1, Fn2 or Record to 'magnify'. Then double-tap the button to zoom, and turn the front control wheel to change the amount of magnification.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA

I use the digital teleconverter to gauge focus with MF glass. I find it faster to work with over the magnify option.

6. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly

7. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I suppose that would be faster, but not quite as precise. I'll have to try that with my manual fisheye. That thing has DOF to spare so I could afford to be a little off