E-M5/E-P5 - How to keep battery indicator on on LCD?

cdo221

Mu-43 Rookie
Sorry if this is a noob question but I can't find it anywhere in the manual. Is there a way to keep the battery indicator on the LCD?

On both the E-M5 and E-P5 I have, the battery indicator seems to only be on right when I turn on the camera (and then goes away after a few seconds) or if the battery is low. Is there a way to keep the battery indicator on the LCD all the time?

chonbhoy

Mu-43 Veteran
The only thing i can think of is in the settings set the warning level to the highest then when it flashes to tell you that level has been reached go back in and set it lower in a 1 or 2 lower increment then repeat this until its at the lowest.
I too would like this info at all times, hope they do this in the next firmware update.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Same here. And why not implement a % estimate rather than bars???

The batteries lack the circuitry to provide those estimates. About all the camera can do is read the voltage, and guess what that means for the charge level. That's also the reason why the battery often takes forever to go from 3 to 2 bars, but drops from 2 to 0 quite quickly.

Canon and Nikon have integrated chips in their batteries for years that can provide detailed measurements, but alas Olympus hasn't gotten around to adding that yet.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Shame really, oh well. I just checked and a Canon battery is only £5 more but has this feature and a higher capacity.:frown:

Um, they're also twice as large. Physically. Doesn't excuse the lack of a decent chip (Sony does it, for instance) but still.

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
The batteries lack the circuitry to provide those estimates.
Thanks for that explanation. Remaining battery life is a big question mark, and that sucks. I once drove an hour to get a photo, before leaving the battery said it was 2/3 bars, but it died after just a couple of snaps. Frustrating.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
The E-M5 doesn't keep the battery meter on all the time because OLED screens, like plasma panels, are prone to burn-out if they're constantly showing the same thing at the same place. It's the same with Panasonic GH3.

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
I'm guessing that the battery meter might also put a relatively heavy load on the battery for a short time in order to gauge the remaining charge. In that case, you would not want the meter on for more than a few seconds.

tkc9789

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How do you do a quick check on remaining battery level short of turning the cam off/on?

Latest threads

Top Bottom